Desperately seeking a new clutch

Introduce yourself here. Don't be shy we're a friendly bunch.
Big Jim

Desperately seeking a new clutch

Post by Big Jim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi, i'm new to the Mahindra register. I have recently brought a 1994 Mahinda Indian Brave Jeep with modifications, after a few months of fun (in what sun we have had) my clutch has failed. It is currently on the ramps at the garage, and they have tasked me with finding a clutch for it as they have drawn a blank in the search and would like their ramps back asap.

It is stamped as a Borg and Beck clutch but has no part number,the beleive it is a Mahindra Clutch.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

James

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Re: Desperately seeking a new clutch

Post by cheiftain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Welcome to the register, :hello:

Clutch parts are getting hard to find, but you can try these as a reference.

borg and beck part number for clutch driven plate is "HB6196" , >> as far as we know this plate has been discontinued unless you can find old stock somewhere.

Also if you can find one "LUK/AS 323022930" >> is another replacement that fits.

http://www.discountcarparts.co.uk/catal ... mbo=200002 lists a whole kit, not cheep.

And look here for a discussions on the forum about clutchs >>

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1432

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=620

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1259

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks, this is a great help :yahoo:

oddball

Post by oddball » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:27 pm

You won't get one in the UK mate and that place in Ireland does not have any stock and can not get them even though they take your order been there done it.

See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1432&start=45

You can buy them from the USA as I have done or get them from Italy from Mr. Luigi :grin:

Here is an email from Mahindra on clutch kits I got yeterday from KAHU.ABHIJIT@mahindra.com
Please accept our apology for delay in response. This is very old model. We have arranged these parts from the vendor.

We would like to inform you that we have authorized distributor in Italy - Mahindra Europe. Please be in touch with Mr. Luigi who will confirm the prices of these parts. These parts are available in India. Please give your confirmed order to him so that part can be supplied through them.

PART NO
DESCRIPTION

CLUTCH PRESS.PLATE231mm(9-1/8 )

CLUTCH DRIVEN PLATE-(9 1/

CLUTCH REL ANG CONTACT BRG

Thanks & Regards

Abhijit
If you look at the above thread you will see I went through a lot to find what would work.
The Mahindra clutch disc is more correct at 9-1/8" as it has more room in the clutch cover but I think the 9-/14 disc from Kaiser Willys will work ok see the video.
I would not put the jeep in the garage as I knew they would give up looking for the parts and give me my jeep back in a bag :blackeye:
The problem is I got a quote from Mahindra and it was about £300 by the time you pay you tax and p&p from India so I got mine from the USA at about £150 all in. :good:
US parts show here

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:23 pm

:good: Thanks ever so much for your help, i will go down this road,
Before t :good: he garage sends mine back in bits :good:

oddball

Post by oddball » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Has the garage told you what parts need replacing you may just need the disc and baring.
The cover is only about £40 in the UK for a Landrover S2 A2 as listed on the thread.
If you have hydraulic clutch the carrier will be a different one but the odds are that will be ok anyway.

holte999

Post by holte999 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 pm

I have seen some companies online that refurbish discs and replace the springs, would this be any good. Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

junkyard jeep

Post by junkyard jeep » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 pm

If the clutch is just slipping, you could try adjusting the slave cylinder push rod!
Ant.

oddball

Post by oddball » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 am

holte999 wrote:I have seen some companies online that refurbish discs and replace the springs, would this be any good. Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Good point I did get a quote of about £25 -30 on a re-line of the old clutch disc but that was no good to me as I didn't want it in bits first and it stuck at a garage for 3 weeks or more while I posted bits back and forth. This may be good for this guy though as he now has it in bits and it will take as long either way he goes now unless he pays more on postage to get parts faster.

I was concerned that a garage may charge for storage while the parts come.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks guys, it was the centre plate that broke up and got jammed in the fork.
The plate is in about 8 pieces, The bearing seems okay but is rather noisy, The clutch plate does not seem two bad either.
The whole lot is currently at a place in derby, Were they are looking to rebuild it, Should have a yes or no by tomorow, And price.
Failing that it looks like a new one.

Although at this stage with all the information coming through on here, I am tempted to get the garage to bolt the box up, Put the props back on, and push it home.
Then when clutch is rebuilt, Or new one sourced, I will have a go at reffiting myself

ollie

Post by ollie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 pm

You can push it about without a box or props! just wedge the engine up on a bit of timber and take the props off completely then they can drop it back home for you. no point paying to have it half assembled......