hello

Introduce yourself here. Don't be shy we're a friendly bunch.
Andy jb

hello

Post by Andy jb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi my name is Andy would like to know a lot more about the Mahindra jeeps i have all way had Landrovers but would like a little jeep as a fun drive in the summer if we get one.
Are the Mahindra's the same body as the US built CJ jeeps can you still get parts for them.
What are they like to drive on and off road ??.
look foward to hearing from you all regards Andy :bye:

stephen

Re: hello

Post by stephen » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 am

The mahindra CJ340 is a license built Willys CJ3B.

I have compared a couple of American built willys CJ3B's that were converted to RHD in Australia, to my mahindra CJ340- and the indian quality control is actually better in some respects to the Willys! :shock: quality of welds, amount of spot welds, squareness :lol: and fit of chassis and tub.

The body/ chassis/ suspension - for our purposes practically everything is identical or interchangable.

Brakes are a little different in some areas- parts are available- but many tend to upgrade to disks instead of replacing drums.

Engine is a peugeot diesel able to be swapped out with similar engines that are fairly common in Europe/ UK.

Gearbox is an improved 4 speed version of the willys 3 speed.
Both front and rear axles are DANA 44 with horribly low gearing- intended for towing agricultural impliments.
Its best to get a set of 16" wheels and 7.5 x 16 tyres to improve gearing [and looks]

As for driving, well, its 80 inch wheelbase on cart springs and the seats are a bit better than what I remember being in series 1 landies :scratch:

perfect recipe for a fun weekender :good:
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

holte999

Post by holte999 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 am

Welcome to the madhouse, if you want to know anything Mahindra this is the place however I am a novice. If you are looking to buy one EBay is quite good, keep an eye out on here and I'm sure someone will post when they come up for sale.

Andy jb

Post by Andy jb » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks chaps i know of one in a barn not far from my home dont know if he would part with or what sort of money it's worth i think it in fair order but not run for some time.

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Welcome
depends on year and which model, short or long wheel base .short make more money and stockman or bushranger make the best money ,