New here, and looking for a swb mahindra

Introduce yourself here. Don't be shy we're a friendly bunch.
daan

New here, and looking for a swb mahindra

Post by daan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi, My name is Daan and I am a 4wd aholic.
My nationality is dutch, but I live in the UK (oxfordshire).
I spent the last 25 years molesting and offroading a landrover series 3, but I decided that one thing still on my bucket list is to own a willys jeep. The Mahindra looks a good way to go, so I am after a swb project. Does anyone know of one available. I like a project, it does not need to be a runner, anything considered basically.

One other question, Being dutch, also tend to mean you're tall; 6ft7 I am, do I actually fit a swb?

Daan

stephen

Re: New here, and looking for a swb mahindra

Post by stephen » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:33 pm

You can fit anyone into a SWB Mahindra / CJ3B WILLYS.

As long as you are not expecting modern style comfort.......

At 6'7" you might look a bit like a preying mantis in the drivers seat, although it will be much better than the WW2 era jeeps and CJ2 and CJ3A - there is more clearance under the dashboard for your legs due to the 4" lift.

It might be a good idea to chase up someone local who has a CJ340 Mahindra for a test fit!
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

daan

Post by daan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Ok, that is usefull to know. I will keep my eye out on the bay.

Regards,

Daan

daan

Post by daan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi,

Good news, I found a suitable car. It is a 1990 CJ340 Indian Chief. I saw a few on the bay in the last 6 months or so, but none of them were quite what I was looking for/not the right time/expensive. Then I found this:

The body is completely shot, making it ideal for a Willys MB bodyswap.
The mile age is 56K, so I hope the mechanical side is ok. the engine runs, but the clutch is stuck solid at the moment, so I have not been able to test drive. Chassis looks ok, there is quite a bit of rust in between the double skin sections of the chassis, but no holes or anything like that. What do people do with this? I can imagine the shot blaster not being able to remove rust from between two skins.

Other plans I have are more engine under the bonnet, disk brakes and PAS.
It will be a slow pace, I am in no hurry with it. But glad to have the Donor car in my garage. This forum has been very help full so far, will be using it more in the future.

Thanks, Daan

stephen

Post by stephen » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:17 pm

"Rust between the double skin of the chassis"

Is this the strip of steel welded underneath the chassis?

As you have said the body is being replaced, once it is gone you have the perfect time to strip the chassis and turn it over.

If so, you could grind back the welds and remove the lower steel strip, then treat any rust, then replace the old steel strip with new and better steel.

Hopefully with better welds too [some of the welds on this reinforcing strip are a bit iffy]

Do not weld across the chassis - only fore and aft.

The clutch being frozen - might be the pedal pivot shaft needs lubricating and a belt with a hammer.
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

daan

Post by daan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply and advice.

Yes, the strip underneath the chassis is caked with rust. I am planning a complete strip down and remove the strip underneath the chassis. There are a few more areas were 2 skins are welded together (like the front cross member), which, unless you take it apart, shot blasting won't help I think. Admittedly, the corrosion is mainly cosmetic, and only serious in the areas that are exposed to rain, like the front spring hanger.

Will have a look at the clutch pedal.

Thanks,

Daan

roger fowler

Post by roger fowler » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:58 pm

hi Daan--i have available a 1991 cj 3 classic,i owner (me) with 20.000 miles in store at present with minimum work -- see it in 3rd page of gallerys.--- --- for info call me on 07980960752 roger(bristol) :wave:

daan

Post by daan » Sat May 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi, your mahindra looks mint, which is completely unsuitable to start modifying, so Have to pass it on I am afraid. Besides 1 mahindra in the garage more than enough!

Daan

roger fowler

Post by roger fowler » Tue May 09, 2017 5:24 pm

thanks Daan--hope all goes well :read: