Ieuan's new Marksman!

Post your photo's in here
stephen

Re: Ieuan's new Marksman!

Post by stephen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 am

Phil. wrote: you mentioned that when you took the top off the windshield wobbled a bit. Just wondering if those hinges do allow it to tilt forward and somebody has simply tacked it into place. What's that piece (arrowed) Looking from a distance, the false hinge concept seems a bit odd. I wonder what's behind that plastic dash? [/color]
I reckon that the screen needed to be fixed to hide the raised plastic dash and its innards.
Since the screen was able to be braced by the "roof supports" a cheap, easy and effective way of preventing the screen from being folded down by owners was the fake hinge and what looks like a piece of flat steel welded in place over the gap between the body and the screen frame.
[looks like the original foam rubber seal is still there too.]

I reckon with real hinges and the flat steel removed, the screen could fold down.

With a "nutsert" fitted about 2/3's the way up the screen frame- and a CJ3B or MB windscreen pivot bracket bolted in place on the side of the body, a simple removable brace could be used to hold the screen secure- and removed when the screen is down.

Any chance of more pics of the windscreen frame and how it is secured? or behind the dash?
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

stephen

Post by stephen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:43 am

Me again :wave:

Its possible that behind the plastic dash you will find the original windscreen clamps- or simple brackets either bolted or welded in thier place.
With the raised plastic dash fitted, it would have been impossible to get access to the screen clamps, so the Mahindra factory probably did a simple fix to solve the problem.
It wouldnt surprise me if the fake hinges are really just the proper hinges- silver soldered up to make them rigid then painted to hide the solder.
Sounds much easier to me than tooling up for production of dummy hinges.

need pics of inside of dash, and dummy hinge without paint..... ;)
Stephen
--------------

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:56 am

Keep the advice coming guys :thumbsup:

That piece arrowed in Phil's post seems to run the length of the screen, so essentially it stops the screen from folding (even if the hinges did work).

I'm playing a bit with her today, so will try and remove the plastic dash to see what's behind her, as well as taking pics of course. It wouldn't take to much to cut the weld off in the future if I wanted to go down the folding screen route.

Will post more pics later today

Cheers

CompoSimmonite

Post by CompoSimmonite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:04 pm

The screen hinges on my Marksman definatley fold as I've just, 5 mins ago, undone the bolts and confirmed they move. Accepted very stiff due to 1/2 dozen layers of paint, and rust, but folded forwards and back with help of a Mole wrench and screwdriver as lever :good:
BTW I used to have an ex military CJ5 - Iraq army (seriously - complete with machine gun holes down the side). The dash was just a flat piece of metal so easy to reproduce.

Paul H
Last edited by CompoSimmonite on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Ieuan wrote:Keep the advice coming guys :thumbsup:

That piece arrowed in Phil's post seems to run the length of the screen, so essentially it stops the screen from folding (even if the hinges did work).I'm playing a bit with her today, so will try and remove the plastic dash to see what's behind her, as well as taking pics of course. It wouldn't take to much to cut the weld off in the future if I wanted to go down the folding screen route.

Inspection wise I agree with Stephen. It looks like we're seeing the same things. If that is a weather strip there is only one reason for one. If those hinges have been soldered you might consider taking one off, clean back to metal and see if it's worth trying to free up.
Definitely get behind that dash and have look to see if the clamps are fitted or if fixing holes can be seen. It may simply be plated and tacked. Either ways mate, sooner or later it has to be a fold down. :D

M38 a1.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUURxNCr28c

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Took the top bit of plastic off I see no clamps, but I can see the fixings (see pic) and now based on the last posts from Phil and Paul, it seems that it should fold down, it's a shame I didn't have this conversation before getting it welded :blink:

........so the next question is......Do I add this to the list now, or leave it for sometime in the future?

Cleaned out my left footwell last night, then tried out my new Olive green paint, looks ok up to my painting standards :)
Attachments
20130607_102639.jpg
20130606_164542.jpg

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I forgot to add, just watched that youtube clip, I've fallen in love (and the jeep is nice as well!)

Cheers

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 pm

My old Marksman has over clips like the cj3's have. never tried to drop the screen but will look next time i'm at the farm. the screen will probably fall off the amount of rust it has or the bulkhead will lift with the screen. :banghead: most of the dash is pressed steel and if memory serves only the clock bit is plastic, but, memory fades with age and I've not paid the Marksman a visit since last summer. :shock:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Are they cleaned up rust holes to the right of the punched out factory one's? If so, you might want to give the whole dash area a good once over. Although the W/S has been fixed in one position, over time water may have seeped in and done a bit of damage.

It's up to you how go from here. However, IF it were me, the combination of an unsafe W/S (it wobbled) that is supposed to function a certain way but doesn't - and all that plastic covering a simple dash which would have to come off to allow the new clamps to be installed, would drive me :banghead: nuts.

But that's just me :blink: Or just do what you can, enjoy the summer and do later.

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks Phil, there is a little surface rust inside the tubed area at the bottom of the screen, but it's also got plenty of grease in there, so the last owner obviously did this to help protect it.

As I'm now all secure with the welding done (No more wobbles), I think I'm going to leave for the summer and do this when i do the dash conversion over winter. I really like that solid metal plate that you can see in the youtube clip.

Next steps are cleaning, then sanding/smoothing before paint - Going to do inside first see what it looks like.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 pm

:good: Sounds like a plan...have fun!

stephen

Post by stephen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 am

Ieuan wrote:Next steps are...... then sanding/smoothing before paint
doesnt sound very jeep-like to me :scratch:
Stephen
--------------

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:19 pm

No it doesn't! I always end up doing a "slap dash" job, just trying to make a better job this time (last time was Hamerite covering everything

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm

I still feel that the back of the jeep is too high even though I've cut the shackles down by half.....It looks like I have spacers inbetween the body and chassis (see below pic), but it looks like these can be removed (There are about 8 in total), so the body would then rest directly on the rubber. Perhaps the previous owner added them in to raise the jeep?

What do you think, it's a simple bolt to remove them, but were these added or have always been on the Marksman? (I didn't have any on the old jeep)

Cheers
Attachments
ScreenShot416.jpg
ScreenShot416.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 4990 times

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Looks like someone put a body lift on it. Easy to remove, just be careful of your brake lines and the steering column when you lower it back down ;)