restoration of a CJ 340

Post your photo's in here
Iron Horse

restoration of a CJ 340

Post by Iron Horse » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Gidday there, fellas.

I have been a reader on this site for a number of years now.

Recently I got back from the painters my CJ340. I have been doing it up for my daughters, both of whom learnt to drive in my old Landcruiser. They love the jeep look and are agog at the prospect of getting it back on the road.

I thought I might put some photos up. It is matt black ( my girls' wishes) and has been set up with WW II jeep rims and Firestone military tyres. I think at some point I will replace them with 16" rims and 750 x R16 tyres as I have on my Landcruiser.
Attachments
IMG_4210.JPG

Falstaff

Re: restoration of a CJ 340

Post by Falstaff » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Very nice, is that a WA plate? I remember lots of Land Cruisers and Nissan FWD's and even the occasional LR but I don't remember seeing any Jeeps when I was there? If it is WA why are there clouds, it was always sunny when I was there!

Falstaff

Iron Horse

Post by Iron Horse » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Well spotted.

Yes, it is an old WA plate. The Mahindras are not too common, certainly. Mine was bought new by my late brother at the John Hughes dealership in Victoria Park. I am not sure how many were sold here.

I would have to say that Landrovers in all their incarnations are pretty popular now, but yes, the Landcruiser is probably king. I have one of them too - I am a pretty spoilt kind of guy...

Falstaff

Post by Falstaff » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:50 pm

I seem to remember that the specs for Landcruisers and Patrols were almost identical: 4.2 petrol, dimensions etc but I had a Mini Moke when I was there, not in the same class but good fun. I had a FJ Landcruiser in West Africa and thought it was the perfect vehicle; lucky you!

Falstaff.

stephen

Post by stephen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Falstaff wrote: but I had a Mini Moke when I was there, not in the same class but good fun. Falstaff.

Have to laugh a bit..

my Mokes, LJ50 and Niva went places and did stuff that scared the beejeezus out of my cohorts in landbruisers and pootrols :lol:

stephen
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

Iron Horse

Post by Iron Horse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:24 am

The mighty mini moke - I remember them well from my childhood when a mate's father had one. Terrific at the beach. I see now that they sell for up to $20,000.

Falstaff, the modern Landcruisers here have 4.5 litre V8 diesels, while the Nissans are mostly powered by 3.0 litre diesels.

Mine is old - an FJ80 with the straight six, 4 litre petrol. As long as this jalopy is on the road the Saudis have no worries about erasing their deficit; it's a thirsty bugger.

Falstaff

Post by Falstaff » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Never mind the expense, I would still have one again but as far as I can remember the only imports into the UK were in ute form although they may have been diesel powered here. The way the weather is here at the moment a Dutton Amphicar would be more appropriate.

Falstaff.

Iron Horse

Post by Iron Horse » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:54 am

Take your pick from these!

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results ... =makemodel

Where were they manufactured - I thought it was a Leyland product?

stephen

Post by stephen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:59 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke

turns out that one of my mokes, which I thought was an 860cc, was a 1000ccish hotrod!

fun times :cool:

wish I still had them both!

I often wondered how hard it would be to build a "modern moke" using a recent production front wheel drive car as a donor for the mechanicals, seeing as how the moke body is such a simple design.

Years ago, a Perth sheet-metal worker made another [very much shorter] body for his moke, so he could get down narrow and windy tracks to his favourite fishing spot.

IIRC, it took him less than 2 weeks of lunchbreaks to make the entire body!

stephen
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

Falstaff

Post by Falstaff » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:15 pm

It was the FJ Landcruiser I was looking favourably on and the fuel costs that I would gladly bear!

The original Moke was a Leyland UK product based on the Mini. Later, in Australia, Leyland Australia produced a version based on the 1100. All of the Mokes for sale on the link you posted are the 1100 Oz version; they have the side wind-deflectors.

There are Kit Car Moke copies available here in the UK that are very good but one of the things, and there many, that attracted me to the Mahindra is the fact that it can be doorless, open, basic, a good 1950's design (original and copies) and offers a simpler rebuild and consequently more enjoyment!

New regulations would make building a “new Moke” here in the UK difficult as when a number of major components (2) are changed it has to be inspected and I believe regulations in Oz are as stringent if not more so.

Don't worry, if its not mandatory it will soon be illegal.

Falstaff.