Post by monsterc10 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 pm

the spare tyre carrier is well neat :cool:
THROTTLE WIDE OPEN + MUD = FUN ! THEN LOT'S OF HOUR'S WASHING AND FIXING

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Re: cj 4a rebuild

Post by cheiftain » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:26 pm

The wheel carrier looks well neat :good: ,
but have you considered the weight factor on the lower hinge bolts in the tin work and the pressure it's going to put on your top locking arrangement ?? :scratch:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:17 am

cheiftan the spare carrier is off a cherroke and attaches to the rear bar on my jeep (not the factory on that was forcable removed lots of years ago) if you look in the first photo you can see the bracket
but thanks for the concern :good:
monsterc10 thanks :good:
now get rid of the visitors and mite get finshed in a week but mite have job starting monday that will interfer a little :)

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Oh Yes Now I see Were and How it's fitted. :thumbsup: nice one. and I love the Receiver Hitch very handy for different type tow bars and fittings. :good:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 am

went for a wof (your mot) on sat morn but died 3 ks from home A framed home repositioned the electric fuel pump and stars better but still miss's and splutters when warm
have replaced condensor,plugs,leads,etc but not the coil could that be breaking down?
the carbs not great either looking still for a holley or weber but having ford parts on her :blush: :nea: ,but want to use her
advise welcome

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 am

it sure does looks just like the ones they used to fit to jeep xjs the only problem with justabout all spare mounts is they rattle like bastards or just squeek
I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:46 am

hi cooter
it is off an xj as for squeeks and rattles don't think that will be the only one!!!!

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 pm

cj4a nz wrote: repositioned the electric fuel pump and stars better but still miss's and splutters when warm
have replaced condenser,plugs,leads,etc but not the coil could that be breaking down?
the carbs not great either looking still for a Holley or Weber but having ford parts on her :blush: :nea: ,but want to use her
advise welcome
Possibly coil breaking down under load, when it gets hot, or maybe a cracked cap or bad carbon pick-up to the rotor.
Are your all the plug ends a good color, or burnt and white? 1 or 2 being oiled not a good sign.

Do you know anyone with a Sun Analyzer? or a similar unit, that will show up any problems on the ignition side of things. and for unburnt fuel in the exhaust.
Apart from that check for the usual petrol problems "air leak on carb and manifold, partly blocked fuel filter, fuel level in float, clear ports in the carb not blockages or restrictions and so on.

That's why I like the old oil engines, only need to make sure the fuel is clean and no air in the system and off you go :yahoo:

But did you manage to get a certificate on the old bus before going home?

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 pm

NO didn't even make it :banghead:
thanks for that will go and get new coil today was the only thing I didn't replace when I got her

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:35 pm

well still won't run replaced-
coil twice ????????gt40 then a gt40r
condenser
all ht leads
still not happy runns better with old coil pulled the plugs and a couple are wet but she won't start without the choke

but have found some new carbs that are very simular to the solex on it so will wait till next year for that to arrive then start again failing that will take to local 4wd shop as i go 4wding with the owner and he recons he ows me a favor buggared if i can remmber why but who's to argue with that?
till next time
thinking bout it think my old man use to have thingy to tune cars that sounded like a sun annalser but he's 1200ks away with a water crossing in the middle
got to love new zealand!

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:06 pm

cj4a nz wrote:well still won't run replaced-
coil twice ????????gt40 then a gt40r
condenser
all ht leads
still not happy runs better with old coil pulled the plugs and a couple are wet but she won't start without the choke
Have u laid the plugs on the head and checked for a good spark from each?,
Not running without choke sounds like either a massive air leak around the carb or the manifold,
Or blocked main jet or gallery in the carb, or to low a fuel float level.

What is the Compression like across all cylinders?
Was it your 2 middle plugs that were wet? and have you checked tappet clearances against firing order and are all exhaust valves closing.

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 am

hi it was 1 and 3 wet and haven't tried the plud to head need an assistant but not to worried bout the carby issue as hopefuly fix with new carb and pissed off enought with it the best think to do at the moment is to walk away but make this out of frustration the other day
IMG_1449.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1450.JPG

wheels

Post by wheels » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:14 pm

:D Good to see another CJ4a on here and one that's almost back on the road too! It's the same age as mine but has the
good fortune not to be owned by me. (was not a lot of progress on mine in 09, will try again in 20 10)

Even more impressive is that it has the original F head 134ci engine! You may need to run some sort of lead substitute/ upper
cylinder lubricant to keep it running sweet.

I look forward to seeing a picture of it on here with a new w.o.f.

Cheers,

wheels :thumbsup:

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 am

hi whels funnly enought the jeep has spent most of it's life in gore not far from you there are still some parts their so if looking pm me and will find out for you, yes am currently running upper cyc lub but when i rebuild the other engine will have the bits hardened
have a new replacement carb here that will be fitted in the week or soand hopefully it will run better than currently
Warren

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:55 am

well where do I start
good news start work on monday
more good news
jeep goes and runns and has been off my property pics to prove it to!!
roof light 100w and 55 w bulbe so mite need bigger altenator soonish
plan to get road legal next fortnight and get tuned properly
IMG_1433.JPG
and to get running replaced dissy cap and plugs now runns without much choke and sound smother should of done that a long time ago!
thanks for the comment and looks
Warren
Attachments
IMG_1434.JPG