How many are left ?

The place to discuss the Register itself
CHRIS

Re: How many are left ?

Post by CHRIS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:53 pm

armourerdoug wrote:good bit of homework there, very interesting, the other one the guy i bought it from had had a VERY low ratio drive, even in High, any ideas on that?
:grin:

I agree Doug, mine must be low ratio I think.........she starts to wobble a bit and vibrates as soon s you hit 95 m.p.h. !!lol

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:16 pm

armourerdoug wrote:good bit of homework there, very interesting, the other one the guy i bought it from had had a VERY low ratio drive, even in High, any ideas on that?
:grin:
the Aussie's had a 5.33 diff as standard, most of ours are 4.88. hence the lower ratio on the stockmans. :read:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

stephen

Post by stephen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 am

5.38 :1 ratio for the diffs....

yep- pretty low, but not quite as bad as it sounds if you have the correct 16" rims and 7.5 x 16 size tyres the Aussie spec mindy was originally intended to be fitted with- instead of the optional 15 inch rims and tyres the dealers bolted on to the mindies so they attracted less import duty.

Back then, we had a import tax regime which required a certain level of local content, if you didnt meet the quota you paid big lumps of tax.

local content was the rims, tyres, after market high back bucket seats, seat belts, soft top, twin fuel filter system, heater-demister, radio, and possibly some other bits and pieces. (not sure about the roll cage- that might be from Western Australia as well)

these parts were all sent from Australia to the factory in India for installation prior to being sent to Western Australia

There was a lot of argueing with the tax man over what parts were worth- and I think the importer/dealer tried to average the total of parts fitted to all the imported mindy cj3b's so the higher tax didnt apply to the base model cj3bs that didnt have the upmarket seats,radios etc.
Then a pair of the cj's had to be taken over to the other side of the country (and back) for Australian Design Rule compliance testing- towed on a big flat bed trailer by an almost identical willys cj3b which had a 6 cylinder ford engine and gearbox fitted! (driving back was shared with the bloke I bought our mindy from!)
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)