How many are left ?

The place to discuss the Register itself
cheiftain
Technical Expert

Re: How many are left ?

Post by cheiftain » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 am

Its very unfortunate but when the Mindies were first imported here, the motoring press and the so called experts and testers, (you know the sort; Mr. Clarkson and Co and several others) gave the mindy such bad reviews, as to build quality, finish, accessories, reliability, comfort and usability.
Compairing them against the then new SUV's and comfy 4x4's that were hitting the market at the time, test driving them on motorways and in cities, which we all know is not the mindies natural habitat, and to be compared at 50 mph against, Range rovers, discos, mitsi's and patrols just couldn't compete. This was hardly a fair situation to make as a comparison on.

Which ment Joe public didn't warm to the Indian barebones type of jeep because of the unfavorable press, leaving only a limited number of people who knew the true pedigree of the marque to buy and use the strange prehistoric monsters from India.

So with limited vehicles imported and only a very slow sales take up the first importer ceased to trade. a valliant effort was made by the next company and more sales did take place and a better build and finish was made with the next jeeps imported. But the bad press had stuck and imports ceased.

The limited number of people (a few of whom are still today owning the first mindies that came in) soon realized What lay beneath the plastic dash and EU regulation add-ons and spread the word as to the true Jeep lurking underneath and learned to love the quirky beasts for what they truly are. A 1950's designed,vehicle that has a pedigree as long as your arm and a heart of gold when looked after.

As to weather they will ever be "sort after" I dought it, certainly not by your average person. But i know a few if not most of the members here would grab another one if and when they become available, no matter what the condition and as the mindy is now becoming very rare not only here but in most places.
It will always apeal to the hardcore enthusiast and as such we as members of the Mindy Madness Club must protect and save as many as we can. :preach:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

John C

Post by John C » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 am

I'm still a Mahindra owner; 1xBrave (Mad Hilda), 1x Chief (Beer Truck), 1xStockman (Project), 1xChief (Project) and a Chief chassis and bits (no V5). Apart from the last one all are SORNed at the moment. JC

John C

Post by John C » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am

I've just rescued another, via eBay, so the list is now; 1xBrave (Mad Hilda), 1x Chief (Beer Truck), 1xStockman (Project), 1xChief (Project), 1 x Brave (project) and a Chief chassis and bits (no V5). Apart from the last one all are SORNed at the moment. Finally got all but one in the same place so it's spanners out starting on Friday!
JC

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Good luck John :good:

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:53 pm

GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT, Ay John :lol:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

armourerdoug

Post by armourerdoug » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:31 pm

my Australian Army brave is on the road and the Chief (T25 project)is sorn
that is a very low number here! :shock:
Nuns!! no sense of humour!

stephen

Post by stephen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Australian Army Brave?

I didnt know our fellas played with Mindies!
I thought our mob went straight from war surplus jeeps to Austin Champs to Landies :scratch:

Any info I can check out- we might be able to paint up ours as digger-issued.
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 pm

There was a story that the Australian army ordered a load of 3B's from Mahindra, the story goes on to say that the Aussi Army were so unimpressed by their, ahem, basic standard, that they rejected the whole order. These were then shipped to the UK for sale as civilian vehicles.

Whether there's any truth in the story I don't know, I really never got to the bottom of it. But as with all these types of story, there's always a large dollop of truth in there somewhere ;)

stephen

Post by stephen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:56 am

The only 3b jeeps that I know of in our military belonged to our airforce- around 50 I think, they were used as communications and "follow me" vehicles- but they all came from the Willys factory- not mahindra.
Some govt. departments purchased various jeeps, but not in large numbers- more the exception instead of the rule.
A mate of mine who used to be a civil aviation engineer years ago remembers "messing about" and playing "silly buggers" with a dodgy high hood at a northwest airstrip. (sounds like a pretty normal activity to me :D )

The Aussie army trialled 3b willys manufactured jeeps, but from what I have read the test vehicles were civvy spec jeeps pulled straight off the production line, and not given better springs etc, but the real faiure was when the Army team rang various jeep dealerships around the country and -posing as civilians- asked for quotes on parts.
The common response was along the lines of.........what parts? We have to bring them in from the US when ever a customer needs anything, Head office never have the parts in stock and its quicker to bring them in ourselves.

I have read that about 90 or so mindy jeeps were siezed by customs in the USA, they were supposed to go to a theme park owned by Dolly Parton, I think they ended up being sent to Greece or the UK, but could be wrong on that
Stephen
--------------

armourerdoug

Post by armourerdoug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:19 pm

the guy i bought it from had 2 of them, drab from factory and australian spec, he said it was australian army, but dont know for sure, be interesting to find out how it is in the UK, one of my team had one that was burned out and sold it on, was exactly like mine in all aspects, maybe they were refused and sent to the UK? :lol:

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Well the UK dose tend to be a dumping ground for people no one else wants, so why not a few jeeps. rant over ;)

The Aussie spec jeeps were an expedition order for the land of Aus, that were rejected :scratch: , Saw the tale in a 4x4 mag years ago, may still have it somewhere.
The Aus spec jeeps were a lot better than the greek assembled ones we had to begin with. :shock:

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm

you are right keith, ive seen it floating around the net by the orignal uk importer .

stephen

Post by stephen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:34 am

This is what I have worked out from various magazine articles and bits and pieces I have cobbled together- cant guarantee it is accurate though!

When the mindies first arrived here they were way overdue, as they had been held up with compliance and import regulation hassles, and- I understand the original bloke importing them had a heart attack half way through the whole process and the whole importing mess was picked up by another dealer.

From what I understand, the mindies eventually got here and were sold as base model stockman- green paintjob, standard jeep seats- pretty much looking like a military bare bones jeep for sale to farmers, pastoral stations and mining companies or anyone who couldnt care less about the fancy stuff, but wanted a road legal basic 4wd.
The other model was the bushranger- flash (sort of) paint job, high back bucket seats, radio, colour matched soft top and I think different tyres and rims. Mechanically they were identical.
The first batch of stockman and bushranger mindies sold reasonably well- but it wasnt long before they copped a hammering from the motoring press- and a lot of buyers who didnt realise they had bought 1930's technology!
The next batch (or rest of the first batch- not sure which) had a lot of problems selling- and either ended up being flogged to a station as a bulk deal (WITH ALLTHE DAMN SPARE PARTS THAT HAD BEEN IMPORTED) or scrapped, or sent elsewhere- some possibly ending up in Dolly Partons batch, and I think a bunch of Aussie spec mindies that hadnt left India were diverted to the UK.
In desperation, I think the importer tried to offload mindies to govt. departments and military- but with the tojo's and landies being so entrenched here there was no chance of the mindies getting a toehold.
Last edited by stephen on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
--------------

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:13 pm

That is the Aussie story I've heard to, there is probably a load of truth in there somewhere. :thumbsup:
I feel it was the darned motoring press that killed Mindies in the UK too. You just can't compare a Mindy against the likes of the Chelsea tractors and make a constructive judgement. :read:

armourerdoug

Post by armourerdoug » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 pm

good bit of homework there, very interesting, the other one the guy i bought it from had had a VERY low ratio drive, even in High, any ideas on that?
:grin: