Getting a build date from the factory

Technical questions and answers
mungamax

Getting a build date from the factory

Post by mungamax » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Hello, does anyone have any contacts or thoughts on how to get a build date a vehicle left the factory. It's an Australian spec Mahindra. I have tried the support system, but it's a bit like plaiting fog! i find someone who seems to understand, for them to no longer respond to emails.
I need to provide this info for DVLA and my insurer. Any help please?

Thanks
Andy

stephen

Re: Getting a build date from the factory

Post by stephen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Is your official data plate missing?? should be a date on that.

if you have chassis and engine numbers we can give a pretty good estimate.

details from the official "MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA LTD." data plate on mine =

model CJ-340DP-4WD
chassis no. MBE 340 DP BK DM 25112
engine no. DM-25112
serial no. 376119 12-89

So, if your numbers are anywhere near mine - yours should be of December 1989 manufacture.

First batch of Aussie mindies were all pretty much the same [manufacture] date, but dates of initial sale and registration in Australia would vary a fair bit as sales were pretty slow.

Due to the unexpectedly low sales, the order for the second batch of Aussie mindies was cancelled, and sat in a paddock in India until freshened up and sold to Dolly Parton, then seized by US customs, auctioned, sent to Greece?? and eventually some ending up in the UK.
Batch no.2 most likely manufactured either at the same time as batch no.1 - or shortly afterwards.
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

stephen

Post by stephen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Andy - can you get a close-up photo of your data plate?

the date of manufacture is stamped directly above where the "COOLING" info is shown.

if the date on the plate has been damaged - take the plate off [4 x screws] turn it over and carefully clean the back of the plate.

on mine, after wiping it with a wet finger I can clearly read the 12-89 stamping [in reverse]
Stephen
--------------

mungamax

Post by mungamax » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:54 am

Hello Stephen
Yes mine is close to yours, but can't see any date stamps. The problem is, I need an "Official" letter to say this for the UK vehicle registration people. I did try the email address you gave me before at Mahindra, but as soon I got them to understand the emails from them stopped.

Not making much progress at the moment, it's been very wet and windy, and the garage has been in use helping a friend with a Land Rover chassis swap, and engine change that turned into a nightmare!

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Andy

stephen

Post by stephen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Do you have Mahindra tractors in the UK?

If you do, how about approaching a dealership and see if they can help by supplying a letter themselves, or through the chain of supply they use.

I would imagine that any letter with "Mahindra & Mahindra" should do the trick.

If this was over here, it would probably cost a carton at most...
Stephen
--------------

mungamax

Post by mungamax » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am

Hello Stephen
I can't find any Mahindra automotive companies in the UK. Just a subsidiary that sells their new electric car!
I will try and scan the data plate.
I did send an email to costumer services in India, but no reply.
Hope to get a bit of time to repair the screen, and get some paining done if the weather is kind. Did quickly manage to do an oil and filter change yesterday, and found some old prams and shopping trolleys in the oil :) ! I don't think it's been changed for a very long time!

Cheers
Andy