New fuel line needed, where from?

Technical questions and answers
oldbob

New fuel line needed, where from?

Post by oldbob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 am

Gradually overcoming the problems, but more keep cropping up. I have known about this one since it came, but, barring any other little things cropping up, it should be running after this little problem is solved.

The tank to filter fuel line is split and needs replacing, where can I get one from, or one made up?

Asked at a couple of motor factors and they don't do them and when I asked if they knew of anywhere no one did. One thought that has crossed my mind is to take it off, take it down to a local garage and ask them if they could get one made up for me, or is there a better solution?

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Project 'Old Bob'
Done so far -
Oil dropped and filters changed, new plugs, new battery, rad flushed and refilled, main fuel lines from/to tank replaced, temporary air filter fitted........ Electrics now working!!... Nearly running!!!!

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Re: New fuel line needed, where from?

Post by cheiftain » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Look to see if you have a company called "Hosequip" in your area, if you have and take along the pipe with the end fittings on they can make one. :good:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:53 pm

As Keith rightly says, take it off and go to a local hydraulics firm. Its not a high pressure hose so doesn't need a 'Carlos Fandango' hose made. Its a basic hose with standard banjo fittings, just make sure you get new copper washers to fit it back on with :good:

It will probably be worth changing them all if you can stretch to it, if that ones perished then its likely the others will be in a similar state ....

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I thought Carlos Fandango was the bloke who made the wheels for my capri years ago, didnt realise he did hoses as well !!lol

oldbob

Post by oldbob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Got one, wasn't cheap, probably could have got it much cheaper, but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of tying loads of different places!

Will get it put on this evening and chuck some diesel in and see if it will get anywhere near starting!!! :beg:
Project 'Old Bob'
Done so far -
Oil dropped and filters changed, new plugs, new battery, rad flushed and refilled, main fuel lines from/to tank replaced, temporary air filter fitted........ Electrics now working!!... Nearly running!!!!

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm sure it will be OK with the new feed pipe on. Don't forget to bleed it first.

Did you get new copper washers ?

oldbob

Post by oldbob » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:52 pm

struggling to bleed/prime it. I've got the fuel to the filter and then I'm struggling, think I might have a leak on the fuel return pipe, from the end of the injectors back to the tank, will this affect the engine firing?

Here's what I've done so far, used the pump thingy-ma-bob on top of the fuel filter to pump the fuel through, opened up the bleed valve on the injector side of the pump and fuel is coming through without bubbles when pumped, tightened the bleed valve up.

Then I'm a bit stuck, tried to follow the haynes manual for the peugeot engine by loosening one of the bleed screws on the fuel pump (the one that is on the pipe going to the injectors), couldn't get the other bleed screw on the pump loose, loosened off one of the injectors, then cranked the engine, it turns over, but doesn't fire.

Then I noticed some fuel dripping from the pipe returning to the tank.

So... any suggestions or an idiots guide? My thoughts are either no fuel getting to the injectors, probably because of a leak or air in the system, or blocked injectors, which I hope not!! Didn't really spend too much time trying to fault find today, so will have another bash Thursday or Friday.
Project 'Old Bob'
Done so far -

phil

Post by phil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Try loosening one of the feed pipe on a injector and crank the engine over until it starts to get rid of all the air
Phil R

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Idiots guide, Humm!
OK then, If you can see fuel from the injector return bleed off's, that go back to the pump then away back to the tank. it means some fuel is at the injectors from the pump.
However i don't mean you've not got air in there some where. the return fuel pipe won't stop the engine starting, it will just make a mess.
SO, you need to loosen an injector pipe at the injectors no.2 is the easiest to go for, just a turn or two will do, then make SURE the Glow plugs are working. then Heat the enigine on the key a couple of times waiting to hear the relay click out on the heater then crank the lump watching for fuel at the loosened injector pipe. If and when she fires and starts tighten the pipe up again and let the engine run for a while. It can take a while for the air to clear from the injectors as they rely on pump pressure to open the needles fully to inject the fuel and air, till its expelled will not help this.

As a last resort you can allways resort to using "Easystart" a type of aerosol Ether/Alcahol mix to get her running and bleed out the last of the air, but long term use of this product isn't recomended as it tends to become habit forming. :swoon: on the engine as well as you :grin: :lol:

hope this helps. :good:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:38 pm

TWAT why is it an idiots guide done it hundreds of time
Phil R

phil

Post by phil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Just try it Oldbob it save a lot of arsing about
Phil R

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:51 pm

phil wrote:TWAT why is it an idiots guide done it hundreds of time
Tut Tut, Phil :blink: He asked for an idiots guide, N thats what he's got. :mod:

Some of the new members on here haven't had to play with oil lumps before and maybe new to the ways of getting them started.
Us older wiser guy's with all the High mileage behind us may know it all and think everybody else does, but Alas this isn't allways the case.

So be kind to them, they are helping to keep the Mindies on the road after all. So I don't think that makes them TWAT's :preach: :no: :glare:

phil

Post by phil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:00 pm

I wasn't calling old Bob a Twat

I thought some one was calling me a idiot

sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick
Phil R

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:10 pm

phil wrote:I wasn't calling old Bob a Twat

I thought some one was calling me a idiot

sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick
"I thought some one was calling me a idiot" No Phil not in any shape or form mate. I don't do that kind of thing. But if you think i'm a TWAT so be it :beee: :cray:

for clarity Oldbob said >>>>

"So... any suggestions or an idiots guide/u]? My thoughts are either no fuel getting to the injectors, probably because of a leak or air in the system, or blocked injectors, which I hope not!! Didn't really spend too much time trying to fault find today, so will have another bash Thursday or Friday."

phil

Post by phil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Lik e I said think I got the wrong end of the stick sorry
Phil R