power take off?

Technical questions and answers
stephen

power take off?

Post by stephen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Gidday Fellas,

Our mahindra arrives here on the back of a tilt tray truck tomorrow morning, and I spent this afternoon at the previous owners home picking up a trailer load of parts that go with it.

At first look the tub seems to be rust free, but there is a few bits in the front guards, bonnet and windscreen frame.

I noticed that on both transfer cases there is a PTO fitted- this is in the position where I guess the overdrive bolts up to, so I am guessing its a choice between overdrive or PTO as I dont think you can run both, (if I am wrong- please let me know)

What can the PTO be used for anyway- any accessories on the market?
or is it not worth worrying about and just having the overdrive fitted and ditch the PTO.

Once it arrives tomorrow its out with the camera for lots of pics, and then sorting out the trailer of spares- then start taking off the front sheet metal in preparation for lifting the tub.
I plan on inventing a rotisserrie that I can bolt the tub to, but that I can also fit the rolling chassis underneath to make storage a bit easier while I am away at work (I work on a mine in the N/W of Western Australia with a 2 weeks on- 1 week off roster)

All the best- and hope to catch up with you all later.

Stephen.
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

Alan
Site Owner

Re: power take off?

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm

PTO is useful for running various bits of machinery, just a case of connecting it up. Your right, PTO or overdrive, you cant do both.

Look forward to seeing the pics :good:

As for tub rotisserie, have look here, I am thinking of making one

Rotisserie

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Most of the mindies sent "downunder" Stockman and Bushman and CJ4 came with PTO as standard. this would be to drive implements of your choice out the back of the jeep by mounting a propshaft, (not supplied). To power Winches, Saws, Pumps, Mowers or a Wide Belt pulley and the such. not sure how many tools are or were available if any. :scratch:

Our Tim drove a Hydrolic pump with his, And JC mounted a PTO driven Winch.

My personal preferance would be to take off the PTO and fit the Over Drive as both can't easily be fitted at the same time, An Overdrive being a much more usefull peice of Kit especialy if you intend to do much road work with the Jeep. Saves on the engine wear and gives better fuel return.

Wish you good fortune with the rebuild it will be well worth the work. :thumbsup: :good:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Falstaff

Post by Falstaff » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 pm

Is a PTO driven trailer an option (as LR once made possible)? Does the PTO RPM equate to the vehicle prop shaft drive? It's there and I would like to use it; is there a standard hydraulic pump available (with engagement lever to match the floor pan opening) and which winches (I aleays wanted a capstan on the landrovers I had but couldn't afford it) would be suitable for the output. Sorry about the Q's but I'm at chassis rebuilding stage and it may not be long (well months maybe) before I need to consider the these! I'll post a pic of the chassis in the next few days to prove it!

Tim036

Post by Tim036 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Falstaff wrote:Is a PTO driven trailer an option (as LR once made possible)? Does the PTO RPM equate to the vehicle prop shaft drive? It's there and I would like to use it; is there a standard hydraulic pump available (with engagement lever to match the floor pan opening) and which winches (I aleays wanted a capstan on the landrovers I had but couldn't afford it) would be suitable for the output. Sorry about the Q's but I'm at chassis rebuilding stage and it may not be long (well months maybe) before I need to consider the these! I'll post a pic of the chassis in the next few days to prove it!
It fitted a hydraulic system to a Stockman.

I wanted to use the PTO for the pump. But because the PTO output moves around as the engine moves getting a bracket fitted to the gearbox for the pump to be mounted looked very tricky so I ran the pump off the alternator spare pulley. Works a treat. I deemed the PTO and chassis/exhaust limitations as severe. Others may disagree. Getting a clean run on a prop-shaft to the back of the vehicle is non trivial, given my skills.

:)

Tim

stephen

Post by stephen » Sun May 01, 2011 4:40 am

I was looking at the "Herm the overdrive guy" website yesterday- he sells the overdrive stuff to suit mahindras, but also has an adaptor so you can run both the overdrive and the PTO piggybacked!

I had been intending to dump my PTO and just fit the overdrive- but a power driven trailer as well as the overdrive sounds good to me- just for the sake of being different!

having never seen one, I imagine you would mount a C.V. joint and drive shaft under the vehicle, with a slip-joint to hook up to the trailer- which then connects the trailer prop shaft to its diff.

A bit more web surfing coming up for details I think......
Stephen
--------------

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sun May 01, 2011 9:47 am

you will find the powered axle system used by landrover ended due to instability on corners whilst 101 forward control landrovers fitted with them wer almost unstoppable off road on turns the trailer could and would push the landy over on to its side the sharper the bend the more it could happen and in the end it was stopped

a super idea that just didnt live up to expectations
I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Falstaff

Post by Falstaff » Sun May 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks Tim, I will shelve those ideas!

stephen

Post by stephen » Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 am

thanks for the heads-up Cooter,

as I dont particularly relish the idea of another 4wd rollover
(been there- done that- rather not do it again thank you very much!) :grin:

I think I will file the pto powered trailer idea where it belongs.
Stephen
--------------

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Tue May 10, 2011 11:17 am

stephen where are you aussie?? is so try neil at marathon spare in tamworth he has all the bit on the shelf well the bit's I needed :good: he may have an overdrive and take the pto off your hands
looking forward to pic's
Warren