Chassis Protective Treatment

Technical questions and answers
Falstaff

Chassis Protective Treatment

Post by Falstaff » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

I have got to the chassis restoration stage (well, nearly) and I am not sure of the best way forward:
1)Galvanising is the simplest and easiest (blast cleaning beforhand may be necessary and can improve the pick-up) but galvanisers don't like rivetted connections and there is always the real possibility of distortion, it can be poor quality and is a nuisance if welding is neede later on.
2)Blast cleaning followed by protective treatment seems the most common and it can be done at home but I'm not sure how to treat the boxed sections.
3)Finally there's treatment by dipping first to remove the rust etc and then to coat it with whatever chassis are best coated with; traditional enamel (?) or more modern 2 packs?
Can anybody help with their suggestions and favourites? All comments gratefully received and thank you in advance.

panzerwomble

Re: Chassis Protective Treatment

Post by panzerwomble » Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 pm

My recommendation would be get it sand blasted and then paint it in POR 15 .
Dipping runs the risk of stuff dripping out on your paintwork later.

My pal restored his 67 Unimog this way , and 5 years on the chassis still looks good.

http://www.por15.com/

It's pukka paint , not some Hammershite clone, and after 6 months is like glass in it's hardness.
Plus it's overpaintable.

my 2p's worth . :D
Catch me on 07017031073

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 pm

shot blast, then a good etch primer, spay paint with a 2pack epoxy. there's not much box section on a mindy and what there is, is open ended so a good spray in will surfice.

Obviously its go which ever way you can afford, usualy a good coat of paint and then waxol the whole lot to get between the chassis and the strain strip underneath the lower section and into the more inaccesable areas. this is where any rust will take hold and is the more important than the rest.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Tim036

Post by Tim036 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 pm

panzerwomble wrote:My recommendation would be get it sand blasted and then paint it in POR 15 .
Dipping runs the risk of stuff dripping out on your paintwork later.

My pal restored his 67 Unimog this way , and 5 years on the chassis still looks good.

http://www.por15.com/

It's pukka paint , not some Hammershite clone, and after 6 months is like glass in it's hardness.
Plus it's overpaintable.

my 2p's worth . :D
My vote goes here ! Por15 is awesome. But a spay of WaxOil or a look alike is a good idea too for the really tricky bits !

:thumbsup:

Tim

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon May 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Porr 15, Yes it's a good product, :good: but care must be taken if you ever need to weld anything coated with it, and it's a bugger to clean off to get a clean weld. :banghead:

Just my opinion. been there tried it. :swoon:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Falstaff

Post by Falstaff » Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 am

Thank you all, blast clean and paint it is. POR15 is not a coating I've come across before and it sounds OK. I'll let you know how it goes.