Stupidly high oil pressure!

Technical questions and answers
ollie

Stupidly high oil pressure!

Post by ollie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Finally took me new toy for play on sunday at buildwas, which was good fun even if I did bury it in the clay within 5 minutes! performed quite well realyy allthough the 2.1 pug is a bit low on grunt through the heavy clag, but nothing which can't be solved with momentum ( aka Speed!) after about an hour or so it mysteriously cut out on a straight run, no noises or funny warning lights, temperature normal etc felt a bit tight trying to restart so left it to get a mate to tug us back to the bottom, But lo and behold by the timne we got back to it, it restarted instantly. But i got the low pressure warning light on coupled with an off the scale guage reading.

Getting it home I expected to find something like a stuck releif valve or blockage in the filter but nothing so simple!
pumps working well as its got the pressure to blow the seal off the new oil filter! so I'm guessing a blockage in the block after the filter housing, any one experienced this or can tell me whats in the block downstream of the filter? any suggestion appreciated or even a piccyy of whats actaully down there!

Thanks

ollie

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Re: Stupidly high oil pressure!

Post by cheiftain » Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 pm

if my memory serves, long time since i had a standard engine. there is a relief valve in the base of the filter housing as well as the double piston valve on the oil pressure warning switch. low pressure light on with high gauge reading would indicate there is a problem with the switch valves and the relief valve is restricted.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

ollie

Post by ollie » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks, the alloy filter housing contains the double piston switch plunger which is fine but the releif valve must be further down in the bowels of the block! does anyone know how deep! or have a scematic of how it works? I guess I need an engine manual really! just haven't found one yet.

Ollie

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 pm

ollie wrote:Thanks, the alloy filter housing contains the double piston switch plunger which is fine but the releif valve must be further down in the bowels of the block! does anyone know how deep! or have a scematic of how it works? I guess I need an engine manual really! just haven't found one yet.

Ollie
Alan has a complete full jeep manual on here in .pdf format. Every thing from engines, gearbox, tranny, axles, body, the whole lot in one downloadable pdf file. :thumbsup:

look here >> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1615
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

ollie

Post by ollie » Fri May 25, 2012 5:57 pm

thanks, I prob need other pages from it soon so I'll contact alan when I'm ready to start work!

Ollie

Jamie_t

Post by Jamie_t » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Does anyone know if ollies problem was ever solved? I have exactly the same thing