Indian chief (1991)rear half shafts

Technical questions and answers
bigbough

Indian chief (1991)rear half shafts

Post by bigbough » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Can any one help. I live in Gozo (Malta) and I have a broken half shaft. What part no. do I search for and would it be best to renew both?

Thanks in advance
Bigbough

Alan
Site Owner

Re: Indian chief (1991)rear half shafts

Post by Alan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 pm

No need to replace both unless you suspect the other one has had a battering too.

It also begs the question, how did you break it? D44 axles are renowned for their strength :scratch:

bigbough

Post by bigbough » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Alan wrote:No need to replace both unless you suspect the other one has had a battering too.

It also begs the question, how did you break it? D44 axles are renowned for their strength :scratch:
I still havn`t had it confirmed that it is the half shaft at the moment. We are havng it up on the ramps soon hopefully and will let you know outcome :beg:

bigbough

Post by bigbough » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Alan
It is the half shaft god only knows how I wasn't" doing anything untoward
However I have broken the brake drum and I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction for a replacement also what half shaft do I search for.... Anything compatible ie Landy etc?
Regards
Barry

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Put up a post in wanted on here maybe someone who's done a disk convertion on their jeep may help with a brake drum, if its only the drum thats failed one from a front will fit the hub, failing that Ahmed, should be able to supply >>http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/regalindia?_t ... 7675.l2559

Half shafts, one long, one short, I don't have any spares but somebody may have. not easy to get hold of new. :scratch:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

bigbough

Post by bigbough » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks chieftan
There's a few options here on Gozo I can look at (Lots of scrappage) Would a complete axle be easier?
Barry

chrisjones

Post by chrisjones » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Certainly if you got hold of a complete axle you'd have the option of either swapping the complete unit or stripping the parts you need from it.

Just watch the diff ratios if you swap axles, as far as I'm aware I THINK all SWB CJ340s and LWB CJ540s have the same ratios except for the Stockman.

I'd wait for Alan or one of the other boffins to share their wisdom on that before you go and buy anything,

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 pm

:scratch: are you sure you have broken the half shaft and no just the hub or shim has it damaged drum.... i would have thought it would have broken /snaped by the diff.send photos this is mine
Attachments
01122010633.jpg
01122010635.jpg
01122010631.jpg

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 pm

I was unfortunate enough to break both halfshafts many years ago but that was when we still had a dealer network.
short one done under warranty then the longer side snapped off just out of time. both snapped about an inch in from the outer bearing just before the ground bearing seat.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm

:shock:thanks keith no more offroading for me
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/axle-shaft ... 12625.html
new :)

bigbough

Post by bigbough » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 am

:hello: It`s me again! Still no luck in getting a new shaft, found some people who would weld it but don`t think I would trust it to last very long. :unsure:
Also I have been told that some people have swapped axles with Land Rover ones. Is it possible and would I have to alter anything? :unsure:

In my searching I have found a site called Indiamart that shows all the Mahindra parts suppliers but am still waiting for replies :banghead:

chrisjones

Post by chrisjones » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 am

Morris 4x4 (in the link Kev posted above)

You can get new shafts from them. Don't be put off from ordering from the USA, The service will be excellent and delivery can be as fast as from a UK supplier.

Otherwise, James has a post in the for sale section with loads of trucks & spares for sale, I'm sure he could sort you out with shafts (or a complete axle). No need to swap to Lardrover parts.

bigbough

Post by bigbough » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks Chris . The only problem I see with USA ordering is the say drivers side I have asked them do they mean left or right hand drive but they havn`t answered me and I don`t want to get the wrong one :scratch:

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 pm

bigbough wrote:Thanks Chris . The only problem I see with USA ordering is the say drivers side I have asked them do they mean left or right hand drive but they havn`t answered me and I don`t want to get the wrong one :scratch:
The american Drivers side will be the longest shaft, on a mindie being a right hooker it would be short, just think on our driverside being the US passenger side.

I would just tell them you wanted the long or short shaft, that should clear up any errors on their part. :hello:

bigbough

Post by bigbough » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:02 pm

cheiftain wrote:
bigbough wrote:Thanks Chris . The only problem I see with USA ordering is the say drivers side I have asked them do they mean left or right hand drive but they havn`t answered me and I don`t want to get the wrong one :scratch:
The american Drivers side will be the longest shaft, on a mindie being a right hooker it would be short, just think on our driverside being the US passenger side.

I would just tell them you wanted the long or short shaft, that should clear up any errors on their part. :hello:

Just to thank every one for their help, eventually got the correct one from Morris4x4 and a new brake drum from the Indian fella on e-bay. Must say they were both
very helpful
Thanks again