Steering box

Technical questions and answers
Phil.

Steering box

Post by Phil. » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Looks like I've developed a small leak in my steering box. I was thinking of taking the side plate off cleaning the surfaces and putting in a new gasket. Looks simple enough - but never taken one apart before just wondered if there was anything I should be aware of before I get the spanners out?

DSCN1012.JPG

kev
Technical Expert

Re: Steering box

Post by kev » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:53 pm

HI Phil you will need to undo the nut first (centre one )and then back off the pre load , after that undo the four outer bolts and I just turned the plate to remove it off the centre preload thread hope this helps

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 am

Will do - thanks kev. :hello:

45grum

Post by 45grum » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:15 pm

A Jeep with an oil leak, that will never do.

I had a job finding my steering box under the layer of greasy dirt, I reckon I must have scraped a kilo of shite off of the front end while it is stripped down.

I managed to break one of the dust seal retaining spring shim thingys on the drag link anyone got a spare kicking around or know where I can get one?

Cheers Graham.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Well, took a look at it last night and the good news is the seepage isn't coming from a u/s gasket on the side plate. However, as I thought I was going to take the side plate off I unscrewed the adjuster screw quite far out and heard a clunk. Later I screwed it back in and managed to re-set the steering OK. :beg: I still have full range of steering - just hope I've not knackered the innards of the box. Is it possible to stuff things up by doing this?

This morning had a look and there is a small patch of oil (about half a beer mat) on the ground. It looks like it's seeping out of the end of the box. Is there a bearing situated there. Any ideas on how to stop this?

Thanks. :unsure:

holte999

Post by holte999 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I had a small leak from my steering box, looked online and it appears that a lot of old vehicle owners (land rovers etc) top up the steering box by melting grease and pouring into the box, when it cools it reverts back to its more solid state and no longer leaks but keeping the innards lubricated.

I did this with mine and it seems to have worked fine but I accept no responsibility if it doesn't work for you.

PS Melting grease can be quite dangerous, it's very hot, don't use a plastic funnel, it also knackers your wife's favourite saucepan :)

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Finally :rolleyes: found where the dribble is coming from it's from the shaft on the opposite side. :blush: Obviously the seal in there is getting tired. The oil runs underneath and drips down onto the spring giving the impression the gasket was stuffed.

I mentioned your idea of melting grease to a couple of blokes today and given that I'm in no mood for stripping down the box they thought that packing it with grease seemed a good idea.

One suggestion was to drill a hole in the filler plug, tap it and screw in a nipple and gun the grease in. Another suggestion was possibly using "one shot" - the stuff that goes in the steering housings on the front axle.

If any of you fella's have any further thoughts your input will appreciated - but so far Holte999 idea looks favourite.

Thanks. :D

45grum

Post by 45grum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:18 pm

I have got my steering box stripped at the moment as it was weeping from the output seal, I do not want to prise the seal out until I have a replacement but there are no markings to identify the seal, does anyone know the seal size or part number, also where can I get gaskets and shims from?
Also Phil, I would be a bit concerned about the clunk as you unscrewed the thrust adjuster screw as it might have been the screw pulling the retaining circlip out of the shaft in which case you may have loose parts floating around in your box :scratch:
Cheers Graham.
Also still looking for drag link joint dust seal retainer.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:16 pm

45grum wrote: Phil, I would be a bit concerned about the clunk as you unscrewed the thrust adjuster screw as it might have been the screw pulling the retaining circlip out of the shaft in which case you may have loose parts floating around in your box :scratch:
Cheers Graham.
Thanks for the heads up Graham. I must admit I do feel a bit jittery about it. Is it easy to take off the side adjuster cover and check that clip? If you have a pic of the parts (never done one before) it'll give me an idea of what I'm looking for. With regard to seals and shims I'm in the dark too. All I have access to is a roll of gasket card and sealant.

Btw - I think the seepage I have seems to be coming from the same place as yours. Here's a pic;

[attachment=0]DSCN0612A.JPG[/attachment]

But that circlip idea of yours has just become a priority. :shock: Anyway, if you find out where to get the other bits let us know. :hello: Thanks.
Attachments
DSCN0612A.JPG

45grum

Post by 45grum » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Phil
The thrust screw is mushroom headed and retained in the end of the output shaft by a washer and circlip.
I will try and put a photo up.

holte999

Post by holte999 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm

As a matter of interest, what does the adjustment screw on the steering box do ? how do you make the correct adjustment ?

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm

45grum wrote:Hi Phil
The thrust screw is mushroom headed and retained in the end of the output shaft by a washer and circlip.
I will try and put a photo up.

Ah' now that makes sense. I'm looking at a diagram and couldn't work out which end or how that circlip played it's part. For some reason I had the idea it was retained in the side cover. Consequently, I couldn't see how it would pop out. :blush:

Here's what I have;

[attachment=0]DSCN1283.JPG[/attachment]

So, two questions. (1) No 17. Roller gear and shaft assy. How are those rollers kept in place on the shaft?

(2) Is it simply a matter of taking off the side cover (No 22) to replace that circlip. I mean I don't have to
dismantle the whole box do I?

Thanks for your patience. :D
Attachments
DSCN1283.JPG

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 pm

holte999 wrote:As a matter of interest, what does the adjustment screw on the steering box do ? how do you make the correct adjustment ?

Essentially, it deals with the amount of steering wheel travel required to turn your front wheels. In other words, if you have to move your steering wheel a quarter of a turn before you get a response (scary) the adjusting screw (no 18) is where you can tighten things up.

In the manual I have (which is quite old with photocopied diagrams :scratch: ) it says to slacken off the lock nut and wind in the adjusting screw until you feel slight resistance and tighten the lock nut. However, a mate said that was fine but suggested that once resistance was felt to back off about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch and then tighten the lock nut. Which is what I've been doing.

holte999

Post by holte999 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks Phil :good:

45grum

Post by 45grum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 am

That is a useful drawing, my box does not have the horn wire tube , I was wondering about fitting a horn button to the wheel like the WW2 Jeeps and was wondering how the wire came out, also got a steering lock block welded half way up the column which I am going to remove.
Cheers Graham.
What oil/grease are you using in the steering box?