Starter Motors

Technical questions and answers
magnarider0

Starter Motors

Post by magnarider0 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Hello Guys, one for the experts.

In the alternative parts list there are two Starter Motors. Peugeot 001362045 & Bosch 011030 (shorter).
I imagine the Peugeot one is what I already have (Pics supplied). Will the Bosch fit my Bell Housing just the same?? I have the EN 55 Peugeot motor fitted now with the original Pug motor flywheel on there.

At present the Starter Motor although relatively new has done some cranking because I could not get the Engine running at first. The dame thing will not turn the Engine over when warmed up unless a large Booster Pack is used to assist. Then it will. My first thoughts were heat soak, so I shielded it, no luck have to wait for it to cool down and then it starts on the button.

On inspection by the local garage that supplied it (motor), they say it looks as good as new when stripped. Middle of October to get replacement, maybe, under warranty :scratch:
So would the Bosch go on there and maybe a better more reliable Starter Motor also.? Has anyone got one fitted or fitted one??

Driving the Jeep to Work again now :yahoo: Still much to do, but have fitted new top and will do some sort of project list in a while with pics.

Many thanks Kerry.
Attachments
engine bay small.jpg
engine bay small.jpg (408.13 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Engine Mod to Engine plate.jpg
Engine Mod to Engine plate.jpg (398.23 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Starter Motor2.jpg
Starter Motor2.jpg (311.26 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Starter Motor upload.jpg
Starter Motor upload.jpg (322.6 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Cheers Kez :wave:

magnarider0

Re: Starter Motors question for experts

Post by magnarider0 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 am

Are there any of the Experts able to give advice on my Starter Motor question please. I wouldn't mind trying the Bosch if it will fit, but its loads of money to spend out. I'm still waiting for the supplier to have a LUCAS available to change under Warranty at present.

Many thanks Kerry. :beg:

Alan
Site Owner

Re: Starter Motors

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:58 am

Hi Kerry,

I can't vouch for the alternative starters because i've never used anything other than the original.

Having read your description, I would suspect the electrical connections to the starter and battery, both the feed and the earth. Check the condition of the cables and the earth strap from the engine to chassis. The one that bridges the nearside engine mount is the first to rot out and causes the symptoms you describe.

HTH

Alan.

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I still have an engine which should have the starter motor on it ( will need to check), can have starter motor for free if you take engine as well :thumbsup:

Water pump etc all there, only alternator missing :hello:

magnarider0

Post by magnarider0 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks Alan & Ieuan for the reply.

Its funny Alan I thought yesterday evening I might check a couple of leads again as they were a bit floppy when I attached them to the New Isolator I just fitted. The only thing is, I made these overkill cables myself with proper crimping tool, good cable and all, also new earth straps and the likes as I worked through the engine bay. That don's t mean one might be dodgy though, so I will check.
At the suppliers place we stopped the motor and it was ok starting with a big power pack on it when hot. No problem if you let it cool down it will start dead easy. Bloody nuisance.
My hesitation in getting the Bosch motor is, they quoted I think £290.00 :lol: and I will need to return my relatively new starter in exchange
I shall wait a bit more then and hopefully get the LUCAS sorted under warranty when it becomes available. I modded mine a bit to miss a Banjo Bolt on the EN55 Engine I installed. At least I can drive my Mindy and use it for work at present.

Ieuan, I shall have to give you offer some thought. Where are you in relation to Weymouth Dorset mate?
Thanks again Guys
PS Love looking around your Website Alan. :thumbsup:

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Weston-super-Mare, 60ish miles away roughly :hello:

ollie

Post by ollie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:45 am

Check voltage drop across cables whilst cranking, there are lots of ways to do it, my prefrence is get a good meter with crocodile clips on each end of cables, set meter to 12v or more, attach one direct to battery positive (Not to the wire connected to it...) and other to motor iteself (not its solenoid feed) and crank ( or try to) and then note the reading, should be fairly low 1 volt sort of area, much higher and you cabling/ feeds on this side are loosing power. if you get a high reading, then shuttle the crocodile clip back from the motor end, solenoid feed terminal, isolator, etc untill you end up back at the battery. any fault will show as a step cahnge in those readings rather than a gradual reduction.

Then do the same for the earth side,connect to battery negative , not its wires.. other end connected to body of starter, and do same,

In this scenario I personally would expect the problem to be anything non standard, like an isolator.... or a chinese starter solenoid, on my own TD the very heavy and nomally infalible jump leads would barely turn it direct to the motor, only extremely heavy cable direct wired would get it spining properly along with a quality battery of course.

incidentally if the engine is not original does it still have a cold start advance fitted, and does this turn off when hot? as over advanced timing on a good engine might make it a bit hard to turn when hot, you can usually hear the engine trying to kick back as it turns.

Ollie