What leavers do what???

Technical questions and answers
gwtaylor

What leavers do what???

Post by gwtaylor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Right I've got 4 leavers

I've established the gear leaver but what about the rest???

stephen

Re: What leavers do what???

Post by stephen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:44 pm

gearstick
high range - low range
2wd - 4wd
power take-off [lever between the seats]

PTO is intended for optional machinery - agricultural equipment, snow ploughs, ditch witches, welders, generators etc.

The PTO can be removed and replaced by an overdrive [only source I know of is "hermtheoverdriveguy"
If you are real keen, Herm also has an adaptor so you can keep the PTO when you fit the overdrive.

Then you will have 5 levers to mess about with! :cool:

stephen
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

gwtaylor

Post by gwtaylor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for that

To put it into 4wd do I need to put lever into 4wd then twist the little things on the front hubs?
And which way do I turn to lick/unlock

stephen

Post by stephen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 am

You need the lever in the 4wd position, and the front hubs [they are aftermarket purchases] to be locked.

Do not drive on hard surfaces with 4wd engaged as it will rapidly wear and damage your driveline and transfer case.

Having the front hubs unlocked saves a little wear and tear while driving in 2wd
However, the top kingpin bearings rely on grease being thrown onto them by the rotating shafts for lubrication - so it is a good idea to engage the front hubs while in 2wd every so often to keep them lubricated.

Originally, the front hubs were permanently locked - only needing the lever to engage 4wd.
This meant that whenever the front wheels are turning - so is the entire front driveline back as far as the transfer case.

Having unlocking hubs fitted reduces the amount of wear on the driveline - but increases wear on the top kingpin bearings - and lets seals dry out if left too long.

There should be markings on the hubs indicating locked and unlocked positions.
if markings cannot be found - engage the 4wd lever, jack up a wheel and turn it to see how much resistance it has - unlocked should be much easier to turn as you are not rotating the axles or differential gears.

stephen
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi and welcome
Some mahindras never were fitted with the extra lever some came with a( pto ) lever between the seats and some came with a super winch overdrive the pto was fitted standard on the stockman and at extra cost came with overdrive ,check the top of the gear knob if it says overdrive you are on a winner
Regards Kevin