STARTER SOLENOID

Technical questions and answers
MAKA

STARTER SOLENOID

Post by MAKA » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi all

Can I replace the starter motor solenoid without removing the starter motor?

Thank you
Maka

Alan
Site Owner

Re: STARTER SOLENOID

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:34 am

In short, no.

The whole thing needs to come off as the solenoid is integral to the dog gear that engages with the flywheel.

Disconnect your battery first, then disconnect the power cables on the solenoid (thin trigger wire and fat power cable from the battery), then the 3 bolts to the bell housing and lastly the bolt holding the starter to the block and it's free to remove :good:

Refitting is the reverse. Fit the block mounting bolt loosely first and then fit the three bell housing bolts. Tighten the three bolts first and then the block bolt. Re-attach the cables and reconnect the battery and your good to go ;)

MAKA

Post by MAKA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Thank you Alan, that seems easy

Maka

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:34 am

You may need to drop the exhaust down pipe off the manifold to give enough room to get starter out for some reason. Don't know why but some I've worked on are very tight to the exhaust when coming away from the bell-housing, some give no problem with available space :scratch:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

MAKA

Post by MAKA » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Thank you, it looks like an easy job. I will do it as soon as I get a starter from Ahmed.

Regards
Maka

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 pm

There are 4 bolts holding starter to the engine 1 on a bracket under the starter into the block, then 3 through the starter into the bell housing 2 easy to find the 3rd hidden is at the top behind the starter, between block and the solenoid.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.