Starter Solenoid

Technical questions and answers
Andy4033

Starter Solenoid

Post by Andy4033 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 am

Hi all

Long time no speak :beg: Life was all good and fine UNTIL yes the Starter started wrong stopped Nothing, Nada, Nil. only a bunch of burnt wires ??? WTF it's Blxxxxxx snowing here and no Jeep :banghead:

Changed the wiring and gave it a Jump running fine stopped and tried the starter (click click click) Battery Charge 24hr 1000 cca. Still nothing.

Starter out Solenoid off although continuity test showed it was OK when tested with battery it was found to be Gunning and just refusing to hold the plunger in or back ?? information needed.

Was told it was a problem with internal coil ? Stripped it out cleaned and soldered all back in place STILL THE SAME :rant:

Is it possible some wonderful owner out in the great wide world has a working spare sitting around just longing for a home :beg: :beg:

On a different note do you think it would be possible to manually engage the throw Bendix with a bit of jigereypokery :tease: before you start the starter as i already have a starter switch due to the barrel starter failing. Please don't forget this is a farm vehicle and is not used on the road but up in the hills around us.

As always i look forward to your replies in advance interjections and laughter.

Andy
Stuck in the Snow with not much go

GRANDAD

Re: Starter Solenoid

Post by GRANDAD » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:00 pm

hi I had my starter rebuilt cost £100 all worked but if the clutch in the gear has gone they are obsolete .. he made a gear and clutch but it was crap I ended up with a refund and buying one from Germany

Andy4033

Re: Starter Solenoid

Post by Andy4033 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi

Thanks for that still thinking about hand operated and spring return had a look today but so cold -8 i had to stop. Thinking as long as you get the gear engaged first and then start, as soon as it fires up remove by spring so it wont return when running then the only thing is opening the bonnet when starting.

Andy