Brake fluid DOT 3 - 4 or 5?

Technical questions and answers
oddball

Brake fluid DOT 3 - 4 or 5?

Post by oddball » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 am

Well been thinking time I changed my fluid again and a few years back I changed the fluid in my ARGO TANK to Silicone DOT5 as it stands for long times with no use.
So have been looking about and many classic Willys owners now use DOT5 for many reasons in fact many vehicles the US Army have sold have been converted to DOT5 before sale.
See http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=189946

Now question is will a Mahindra system work with DOT5 as opposed to DOT3 or 4?
Who is using it on here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oke-Premium- ... SwpLNYASzt
"
An Advanced & Superior DOT 5 Silicone Brake & Clutch fluid that repels moisture and never require changing.
Unlike most brake fluids, Oke DOT 5 does not promote brake system corrosion, or deteriorate with time.
Oke DOT 5 offers long term consistent braking performance under both high & low operating temperatures.
This fluid is approved by the US Military and has been developed and tested extensively and conforms
to the Highest Standards including FMVS 116, MIL PRF 46176B, ISO 4925 & SAE J1705.
Oke DOT 5 is especially suitable for Classic Cars & Motorcycles, often stored and not used on a daily basis.
Also popular for Go Karts, Off Road Vehicles, Fork Lifts, Construction Equipment,
and Harley Davidson Motorcycles.
Oke DOT 5 is Non Toxic, Non Irritating and will Not Damage Paintwork.
Not to be mixed with other DOT 3,4,5.1 or Mineral fluids. Bottle size 500ml."

kev
Technical Expert

Re: Brake fluid DOT 3 - 4 or 5?

Post by kev » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:50 am

:hello:

stephen

Re: Brake fluid DOT 3 - 4 or 5?

Post by stephen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I only know of one bloke who has switched over to silicon brake fluid.

He reckoned the way to go is either the best and most thorough flush of your brake system you have ever done, to ensure all traces of conventional fluid are gone,
or even better, to replace all the rubber components after flushing the brake lines etc. in effect - starting with a clean system.
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)