disk brake converson

Technical questions and answers
Corporal

disk brake converson

Post by Corporal » Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 pm

Hello there,
first off all well done and keep it up for this fantastic forum, and all your splendid machines:)

I own a 1994 CJ340, and am considering converting the brakes to disks. What model of disks and calipers do I require please to fit on the dana 44's?

I have been 'shopping' around, and encountered the axle portals. Have any body tried them yet? Do you know of a company producing bolt on portals onto the dana 44's please?

Thanks a lot for all your help guys.

dangerfield

Re: disk brake converson

Post by dangerfield » Thu May 15, 2008 11:17 pm

hi,

Don't overcomplicate things. Just conact tim,he'll supply you with the plate carrier that fits on your stub axle. Also get the braided cable he supplies,they are perfect.

As before in the previous incarnation of this website rover calipers for vented discs and suzuki discs for PCD clearance.

BTW, front disc conversion are ,shall we say 'Nike' for a Mahindra? Yep,'Just do it'.

Tim,he's the man.

Send tim regards,

Charles

Corporal

Post by Corporal » Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks a lot Charles.

Can you please guide me to the particular model for the rover calipers and suzuki disks I require please?

Thankyou for all your help:)

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Fri May 16, 2008 11:38 pm

rover 214 cali's and suzi sj410 non vented are a good start. message Tim he's the guy.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

dangerfield

Post by dangerfield » Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 am

Hi Chieftan,

What about the rover calipers?I bought a brand new set of rover 200 calis off e-bay for 1about £15,it turned out they were wrong,i reckon for solid discs?In the end i took my plate to the local scrapper and went through dozens of different 2nd hand cals. In end I think i ended up with a 'honda set,however the brake pads pattern was a hyundai part number!Oh well,they work just fine,and in Malta absolutely vital!Crazy driving?Welcome to Malta!!! :shock:

Suzuki discs ok. just needed a bit of grinding of stub circumfrence,they are rough machined.Now they fit perfect.

Charles

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 pm

the Suzi disks are non-vented the sj410's fit ok, but some mindy hubs need a little machining on the hub stub boss.
The Rover Calipers from a 214/414 should be fine we've used both types. the rover 200 must be different in some way. or to newer model. :banghead:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Corporal

Post by Corporal » Sun May 18, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks a lot guys.

So I need Rover 214 / 414 calipers and suzuki sj410 non vented disks.

Thanks again:)

phil

Post by phil » Sun May 18, 2008 6:36 pm

If you are doing the front axle you can use SJ410 calipers
Phil R

trammway

Post by trammway » Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 pm

All along I was thinking that all Mahindra Jeeps sold outside India got front Disk break fitted as stock option. Because my Mahindra Classic got front power assisted disk breaks. Rear breaks are drum breaks. The front wheels also got Lambda Free Wheeling Front Hubs (lockable), is it also not available in the UK models ?

This information also brings in another question, why do you want to try other disk breaks when you can have Mahindra jeep's original Disk break kit itself ? At least I'm happy with it.

-Siva

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Sun May 18, 2008 8:10 pm

hi all use the suzuki setup .. off sj has cheiftain said
i have the rover set up and the caliper don't sit all the way on the disk .it works fine but just would have liked it to be better ..so i will be changing mine when i have chance
so has i said the suzuki caliper sits on the disk right, and the brakes will work a bit better
if you want to use the rover setup use rover 214 non vented caliper 1990 to 96 non abs
all mindys came with drum ,except classic, and we can't get the brakes system off them

wheels

Post by wheels » Fri May 30, 2008 6:20 am

:banghead: Just to confuse things I have got access to a pair of vented discs and calipers to suit.. (The vented discs are the
same dimensions other than the disc being 17mm thick instead of 10mm) I know my rims fit on the vehicle this set up came
off... other than making the mounting bracket to suit these calipers can anyone else think of any other problem I may encounter?
:scratch: (I know I will have to get hoses made up too :-))
Cheers,

Neil :hello:

dangerfield

Post by dangerfield » Fri May 30, 2008 6:53 am

Hi Kev,

I agree with you about the rover setup-mine sits partway on disc,it brakes ok so i was a bit embarassed to mention.

Will changing the calipers for sj be a straight swap or would I also need to get a new carrier plate fabricated-I noticed the span of the two mounting bolts on the carrier are wider than many calis in my local scrapyard?

Thanks for raising this issue,

Charles

robz

Post by robz » Fri May 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Why people keep on about the well past their sell by SJ calipers I dont know ...if any are still around in our experience its highly unlikely that they are very servicable. The ideal caliper for the front conversion is from the SWB Spanish built softop Vitara 1.6 JLX... LUCAS calipers ! The reason being is threefold....firstly they sit perfectly on the Zuki solid discs they were designed for, secondly because of their modernity (up to late 97-98) they are more readily available and reliable, thirdly being Lucas, service kits such as pistons rubbers etc are more easily obtained.
Again they are the ideal set up for the rear conversion if retaining the transmission parking brake. For those of you with modified V6/V8 hairy lumps ( 'ello Kev m8 :yahoo: ) we would recommend using the LWB Vitara Lucas Calipers with vented discs (up to 97-98) on the front conversion with the SWB solid discs and calipers on the rear, again retaining the transmission parking brake. Now all the aforementioned married up perfectly with Tim's great value kit of backplates and braided hoses....he also has in stock a very limited number of NEW Zuki solid discs plus brake pads for the LUCAS calipers.They are LUCAS only fit pads !!! :wave:

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Fri May 30, 2008 6:14 pm

well i think that was a good subject ... :blackeye:
yes to change from rover to suzuki u need to change the carriers / hub plate.
and has said by rob use the vitara or sj caliper
:music: to everyones ear

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Sat May 31, 2008 12:38 am

STILL got drums all round on one of mine, not cos i liked Phil Collins when he was in Genesis either. Great drummer :music: . but I digress, when looked after and adjusted properly :preach: they work fine on road and as she dosen't get up to the wheelarches in mud or water anymore they work fine as designed :amen: and stop you when you've hit something big and immoveable :fright: :blush: :help: :blackeye:

sorry folks just joking around, :tease:
but on the serious side, done and seen convertions with most configurations and to be honest the all Suzi kit is by far the superior. :good: