Mods to become illegal ?

The place for general discussion about all things general, in a generally general manner
holte999

Mods to become illegal ?

Post by holte999 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Saw this on another forum, if true it would affect many of us a great deal. It is about proposals to make modifications to vehicles illegal :banghead:

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

armourerdoug

Re: Mods to become illegal ?

Post by armourerdoug » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:04 pm

This has been around for 20 yers, I was an active hot rodder/ Drag racer and I know Germany have something scimilar, I do believe that military vehicles are exempt, nut this may also have changed :shock:
Got to stop this lads!!!!
Nuns!! no sense of humour!

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:57 pm

The Damned EU are trying the very same thing for Bikes at the moment along with many other stupid reg's. :swoon:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:21 pm

cheiftain wrote:The Damned EU are trying the very same thing for Bikes at the moment along with many other stupid reg's. :swoon:
Quite right mate the EU is damned just like it's big brother...the Soviet Union. It's the same thing, dressed up in a different party frock. :mod: :grin:

oddball

Post by oddball » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Things like this get a push from the big car companies who hate after market parts that undercut and improve on their parts.

You can bet some money has changed hands here :this: not so much Communism but Capitalism.

This law is just anti-British we just love to create the unusual and adapt things it is in our nature to crate, take my Anti-Tank gun suspension it is totally the wrong way round to how the units are supposed to be used but works great.

So they want me to take this in and let some knob tell me it is all wrong and cant be used.

We are still paying for crap that Tony Blair signed off on and always will :rant:

chrisjones

Post by chrisjones » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 pm

I can't see how they are going to enforce this on anything more then 5 years old.

HOW are they going to prove wha is and isn't original equipment on a vehicle that isn't in current production?

I owned a mini fifteen years ago that had fewer than 50% original parts. It's not 30 years old BUT it was a factory track car.......they gonna make that illegal (or my CJ3 B) for that matter.

OR the TR8 I owned with a 3.5 V8 with Bosch fuel injection (That was an ex works car too)?

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Oddball, love the vid on the M3...fantastic :)

I knew a guy once who made a replica 15th century cannon and positioned it on his front lawn. Some curtain twitching plonker took exception to this and the local plod was duly dispatched to protect life and limb, but, had to wander off muttering to themselves when they realised the barrel was in fact ... made of concrete!!
:lol:

oddball

Post by oddball » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Last year I bumped into a English Civil War group and they used the same street lamps for barrels as me but slid a high pressure 2" sleeve inside, once welded up you would not know.

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 pm

oddball wrote:Last year I bumped into a English Civil War group and they used the same street lamps for barrels as me but slid a high pressure 2" sleeve inside, once welded up you would not know.
Is it a little dark in your Street then Oddball !! lol

cj4a nz

Post by cj4a nz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 am

over here as well trying to get this passed

any lift over a total of 5" you have to be member of 4wd associon and can't sell it to joe public just another 4wd member that has a bit of paper to prove they can drive it

all done in back room deals but can't see it passing

oddball

Post by oddball » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:28 pm

CHRIS wrote:
oddball wrote:Last year I bumped into a English Civil War group and they used the same street lamps for barrels as me but slid a high pressure 2" sleeve inside, once welded up you would not know.
Is it a little dark in your Street then Oddball !! lol

I know a great scrap yard that has a council contract to get all their old lamps etc so they always have some in ;) only cost about £7 for the barrel.

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 pm

It seems the panic is over, for the time being.

From Piston Heads
That'll teach us to big up a government press office - it's taken until today to find someone at the Department for Transport willing to give us any comment. But the good news is you can put down the pitchforks immediately - the EU isn't having its wicked way with your modified car anytime soon.

You can read full statement below - and it won't take up much of your time because it isn't very long. But there's an excellent reason for that, too.

The EU document that's causing all the fuss is, in point of fact, nothing more than what it says it is: a proposal. This means it isn't even draft legislation yet. So what's actually happening at European level in September is merely the opening of the negotiation stage, where all the member states get to chime in and have their say. This is unlikely to be a swift and easy process...

With everything still firmly up for negotiation, the DfT says it is unwilling to get into the specifics at this moment. But it is working with the UK automotive industry - something we can confirm thanks to our colleague Darren Moss at CAT Magazine, who has already been speaking to people in the aftermarket trade - in effort to better understand the impact of what the EU may or may not be proposing to make law.

Darren also points out that many aftermarket vehicle parts are the same OEM bits as those used on the vehicle at the time it was type approved, so there's no issue there. Many others are OES, so even if they're not branded with the original vehicle manufacturers logo, they're the same parts, from the same factory and are of identical quality.

Best of all, the DfT is adamant it will be "pushing back" against anything that has a cost implication for the government, the industry and - vitally - car owners as well. The press office was also keen to explain that EU legislation always takes a long time to go through. If there is a threat, it is very far from being an imminent one.

Perhaps most reassuringly, the bloke on the phone this morning literally burst out laughing when we explained some well-meaning folk fear the EU is attempting to outlaw modified cars entirely. Not a suggestion that this is a laughing matter, but a reflection of how absurd the idea is from any rational perspective.

On the other hand, if you want to make your own views heard, you could always track down Siim Kallas on Twitter, EU Vice President and commissioner for transport. Not that we could possibly condone that kind of thing.

Department for Transport statement:
"This document [the tendered EU Roadworthiness Package'] is a proposal rather than final legislation. As such, all Member States will have the opportunity to negotiate the final legislation and everything within the current document may be subject to change.

The Department has sought views on the proposals from the industry. We will be analysing the proposals to find out what impact they will have on businesses and motorists. We will question rigorously any provisions that imply costs for Government, people or industry and seek to minimise these. We will be taking an active part in the Working Group meetings starting this autumn.

It is still far too early to comment on specifics of the legislation as a number of the proposals could be changed or dropped."

holte999

Post by holte999 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Good news :D

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:44 am

PHEW!

chrisjones

Post by chrisjones » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 am

See. Told ya. :D

What did I say in my JD induced trance by the bonfire on Saturdy night?