Engine swap

The place for general discussion about all things general, in a generally general manner
magnarider0

Engine swap

Post by magnarider0 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Still have my wheels parked outside not going anywhere. Any of you guys know if a LDV CONVOY/PEUGOET 2.5 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE or non turbo will drop straight in ie, engine mounts the same, flywheel bolting to gearbox and even the available room. Any help please would be great. You can pick these up at about £350.00, I just wan't it sorted one way or another. I'm getting withdraw symptoms now.

Regards Kerry :beg:
Cheers Kez :wave:

Alan
Site Owner

Re: Engine swap

Post by Alan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 am

Its got to be the peugeot engine not the ford. Source one from an LDV 400, peugoet 505 or ford scorpio.
Whats happened to the original engine Kerry :scratch: seems i've missed a post or two :blush:

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am

yes indeed i am interested too and have a spare 2.1 that i might let if i find a 2.5
I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

magnarider0

Post by magnarider0 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Well I'm still waiting for bit to sort my 2.1, but not much is happening and I normaly use the Mindy every day for work ect.
You guys have the experience, so I'm hopping, will this peugeot 2.5 Turbo literally bolt straight in, flywheel to gearbox,engine mounts and all. Will it fit the space with the larger exhaust for the Turbo Alan. One other thing, it seems to me the present 2.1 Engine was made by the Indians, will this Peugeot lump be French and more reliable. It seems the motor is from or fits an LDV 400 SERIES up to 1998, I just don't have the time to do to many Mods. Is the 2.5 non turdo an option then or just not a lot more power than the present lump.
All help much appreciated. Kerry :good:

PS I'm going to try some of that additive I think you sugested Alan, as I have an MOT looming fast and I need to keep her rolling.

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Kerry,
Belated Birthday greetings by the way :good:

The turbo engine will bolt straight to the bell housing but you wont be able to fit the starter motor because its on the wrong side, it needs a new bit welding in. The engine wont sit on the engine mounts even though they are in the same place because the turbo will be sitting on the steering box ....

The flywheel needs changing to the Mindy one so the clutch fits.

This is the mod needed to the bell housing to fit the starter on the other side.
2011-08-23 18.12.37.jpg

magnarider0

Post by magnarider0 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 am

Thanks for the Birthday wishes Alan, it was a good one. I remember you posting this pic before. there seems to be no easy solutions. --- Whats with the starter motor, is it because its rotating the wrong way?? or I think I can see, its the pocket that the Bendix part pokes into is on the wrong side on our bell housing and box. I take it then the Non Turbo would go in and the Flywheel will change from my 2.1 to the 2.5 motor. Its all down to the Starter Motor Mounting problem.
I would have like to have been on that weekend bash. Enjoyed the pictures. If I ever get this one sorted, I may drive up next year.

Cheers Kerry

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:46 am

In short, the starter has to go over on that side because theres a turbo and manifolds in the way on the original side. The added bit is simply a piece of another bellhousing grafted in, mines the LDV bit but could it be the original mindy bit. There was no spare mindy bellhousing to butcher at the time so the LDV housing got attacked with an angle grinder. The starter turns the same way and bolts on the same way as well as wired the same way.
Just a flywheel to swap and 'adjust' the engine mounts and its in ;)

The 2.5 non turbo has the starter on the 'wrong' side aswell but theres room to fit it back on the other side where you want it to go. It needs a bit of grinding to the blocks casting to remove some of the webbing to allow the starter to sit square in to the bellhousing. Its not major surgery so all in all its a straight swap :grin:

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Mindy flywheel needs a mod to the center boss fittiment and the attaching holes the 2.5 has extra bolts to fit it to the crank.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

magnarider0

Post by magnarider0 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks Alan and cheiftain, I think I've got it now.
Is there much gain in power, a worth while amount and reliability would you say in the Non turbo 2.5 to consider using it??
I have ordered some of that additive Alan as a short term measure,£30.00 to stem the coolant loss. I'm hoping I can get it MOT'd and then spend more time to do a proper job on it.
Long term I have a metal front grill with the round lights I going to change too. Sort the front bumper out, ie, take the crap off, and get and fit some Willys Fenders. I have a spare screen, mine leaks, so I'll check that and fit it.

Thanks again guys Kerry. :read:

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Kerry, Miss Siagon my old bus has the non turbo 2.5, Yes the extra power is well worth the change, a slightly longer stroke engine too. so more torque :good:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 pm

With alan and keith go for the non turbo 2.5 mine went well with the overdrive :thumbsup:

magnarider0

Post by magnarider0 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks Alan, Cheiftain and Kev,
recon I'll spend my money on the Non Turbo then, a lot less work. A bit more power will do me as long as its reliable. It is what it is after all. I put loads of coolant in tonight, I'm going to wait for the sealing addative to come, start from scratch with new anti freeze mix, drain the oil and just try and get the MOT so its legal. I shall then have the time to change the motor. Unfortunately I have a Standard Flying 8 taking up my small drive, otherwise I'd pull the engine now.

Cheers Kerry

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Alan, just looked at your pic of the gearbox, gotta say it looks a bit "Micky mouse".....boom boom !!

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

CHRIS wrote:Alan, just looked at your pic of the gearbox, gotta say it looks a bit "Micky mouse".....boom boom !!
:lol: