Bonnet

The place for general discussion about all things general, in a generally general manner
magnarider0

Bonnet

Post by magnarider0 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Hello Mindy owners,

I'v stripped my Fenders and front grill of now for engine mods and general paint up. I bought back along with a front Screen, a front grill with round head lights from the same guy. On ny Brave it has a Fiberglass Grill with Rectangular lights and Slopping front egde to the Bonnet, I think this needs the old type Straight Bonnet. The old Steel Grill I purchased is taller by about 100mm and it looks like I need and would like a straight fiberglass or old Steel Bonnet. Anyone out there got a good one for sale, advise on modles ect. I would like to change these and put on or make my Fenders into Willys look alike at same time. I'm hopping to get it looking a bit older again Like the red one at the Cheapfest 2012 or Allan's or Kev's. Any feedback and help always much appreciated.

Kind regards Kerry. :wave:

Indian Brave Delux model.
Last edited by magnarider0 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Kez :wave:

kev
Technical Expert

Re: Bonnet

Post by kev » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:14 pm

I have a Fiberglass 1 you can have if you want it but i live far far away

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:12 am

I've got a fibreglass one in Taunton if thats any good !
PM ME IF YOUR INTERESTED
CHRIS

magnarider0

Post by magnarider0 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 am

Hello Kev,
that was a quick responce. A fiberglass one is a good bet being much lighter and all. I'm of course very intrested.

Would you need to see some pics of the grill, it has Mahindra Logo on the front, so I imagine all original, or are they all much the same anyway? I notice your Shore Patrol Jeep seems to have the Fenders real high, which looks great, but the Bonnet is not so deep on the sides as Allans looks and that Red one in the galleries ( Cheapfest 2012) Is this a Mod you have done or model specific, I imagine the the Tubs and that are much the same??

How much Kev and how far, I have great Courier if it will go on one Pallet? Drop me a PM. Realy interested, got any pics.
I see Chris has just come back with maybe the same in Taunton. Thats not far: How many are out there.

Cheers Kev,
Kerry.
Cheers Kez :wave:

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 am

Kerry, Didn't mean to jump in in front of Kev, but for your info, yes the hoods are all the sameheightwise apart from the model you have, Kev and a few others including myself have modified the jeep to take the low hood, quite a bit of work involved, cutting through and lowering the bulkhead and then fitting willys grill, you can see mine in galleries under "ongoing work on chriss' mindy, its not a 5 minute job (mine took 11 months!!) Im in the process of doing my second one currently. As I said Im not wanting to jump in front of Kev but I have a spare hood in Taunton which is a bit closer to youif you want one
Chris

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Its off my red 1 it will fit .due to new steel bonnet being fitted,chris has 1 and bit closer
has chris .my grey jeep has had a chop to put it blunt 4" cut out the front to fit the lower bonnet to make it look like a willys cj2a
right bit of history
last willys mb
3rd cj2a
2nd cj3
1st m38
Attachments
51WILLYS_002.jpg
cj3b.jpg
cj3b.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
NavyJeep_resized.jpg
NavyJeep_resized.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
CRIM0060.JPG
CRIM0060.JPG (13.33 KiB) Viewed 3900 times

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Kerry,

I have the same 'rectangular' lights, so am faced with the same issue as you, although I've decided not to go for the fully body chop yet, but managed to get rounds headlights, and was planning over the winter to take my fiberglass grill out and cut it to fit the round lights - not sure if it'll work but will at least see if all will fit before cutting anything.

Cheers
Attachments
20120614_095502.jpg

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:14 pm

converting to round lamps on the 9 slot grill will be a heck of a job to make it look right.
the round lamp grill is only 7 slot and can be found easily to replace the square one, remember you will also need to find a bonnet as yours slopes off at the front to meet the lower grill. :bye:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Hmmmmm, so in that case I may have a set of round headlights for sale soon :)

perhaps I'll stick to the dash conversion for this winter then

chrisjones

Post by chrisjones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:46 pm

I wonder if an MB or CJ2A grill would fit with your existing hood?

You need to know the height of the grill panel above the fender tops and be sure the radius on the corners matched up reasonably well. I'm sure one of the guys who've done the bonnet chop could draw up a template of the corner and measure the overall height of their grill for you.

Would solve a lot of problems if it would work and if you ever did chop the dash, you'd already have the grill.

Just a thought.

chrisjones

Post by chrisjones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Oh; and has that M38 in the photo got a drop down front grill?

Looks like there are hinges at the bottom corners. :scratch:

CHRIS

Post by CHRIS » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm petty sure the willys grille will be a straight replacement for the square headlight grille as the Willys has 9 slots and I'm pretty sure the slope in the bonnet makes the grille teh same as a willys mb etc
IEUAN, perhaps you could measure you're grille height and I'll check it against mine which is MB, I'm sure it'll be the same ! (I didn't realise the square grille was fibreglass !)

Chris

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks Chris, will measure it tomorrow :-)

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 pm

YEP it has hinges most have on the 38 ....and i think you may be right chris the grill of mb may fit .not sure about the look

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Chris, see attached pic below for all measurements of my grille

Do you have a head on pic of yours for me to have a look at the grille please?
Attachments
Gril.jpg
Gril.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 3864 times