wheel size and tyre options

The place for general discussion about all things general, in a generally general manner
tonystokes

wheel size and tyre options

Post by tonystokes » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of putting T bar grip military tyres on my Indian Chief to make it look more military. It would appear that the wheels on my jeep are 15", and only 16" T Bar tyres seem to be available. Does anyone know if the 15" wheels are standard or if a more military style of tyre is available in that size?

Cheers

Tony

GRANDAD

Re: wheel size and tyre options

Post by GRANDAD » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:43 pm

HI TONY YES 15" WHEEL ARE STANDARD TO 340 JEEP I HAVE THE STANDARD WELLER WHEELES AND A SET OFF OLD JEEP STEEL WHEELES ALSO 15" THAT CAME WITH MY MAHINDRA I HOPE IM RIGHT IN SAYING ON EBAY THERE ARE SOME BAR TYRES 15" NEW FOR DUMPER TRUCKS . I ALSO WOULD DO THE SAME AS YOU BUT IVE NO SPARE CASH AT THE MOMENT . I THINK THERE AROUND £75 EACH BUT DONT NO IF THAY ARE ROAD LEGAL.. SOME ONE OF THE REGISTER MAY NO ..IF YOU DO FIND AND FIT THEM PLEASE LET MY NO HOPE THIS HELPS ... CHEERS GRANDAD :read: :beg:

stephen

Re: wheel size and tyre options

Post by stephen » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:56 pm

The Aussie "Stockman" and "Bushranger" Mindy CJ340's were specified with 16" steel rims + 7.50" x 16" tyres, or the 15" sunray type rims.

[almost all of the 6 x 16 rims and their tyres were destroyed, to try and reduce import duties] :banghead:

7.50 x 16 "bar tread" tyres are fairly common - and look pretty good on a mindy, and the extra height / circumference help with gearing too.

Have a look at the CJ3's on Derek Redmond's website - there are heaps of pictures of military CJ3B's in the Congo, Pakistan, India, Turkey etc. - not all running bartreads.

These are set aside for mine, custom made split rim 6" x 16", with 7.50" x 16", 16 ply tyres :
6 x 16 rims 7.5 x 16tyres.jpg
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)