Which oil where and how?!

Technical questions and answers
Jamie_t

Which oil where and how?!

Post by Jamie_t » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 pm

So I've been looking around on the forum and using the search to try and find out which oil to put where.
Engine oil I'm fine with but would like clarification on the exact oil for the gearbox and diff. (I have a small leak so need to top the diff up)

I was hoping to get in one post a list of all the oils to use, how much to put in the diffs and gearbox and easiest method.
Thanks in advance!
Jamie ;)

GRANDAD

Re: Which oil where and how?!

Post by GRANDAD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:27 pm

HI CAR SPARES SHOP WILL SELL YOU THE RIGHT OIL ..TOP UP AXLES / GEAR BOX / TRANSFER CASE JUST FILL SLIGHT BELOW OR TILL THE ODD DROP OFF OIL COMES FROM FILLER SCREW ............... :hello: :hello: :hello: POST SOME PICs WHEN YOU HAVE THE CHANCE

Jamie_t

Post by Jamie_t » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you :)
When the Mindy is running, if i take the oil filler cap off should I see oil splashing about in there?
I've just removed the sump and cleaned it all out, freed the pressure relief valve from being stuck so I had no oil pressure, the oil pressure gauge now works fine and all looks good but can't remember if I could see oil in the top when all was working fine?

GRANDAD

Post by GRANDAD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 pm

HI YES OIL SPLASHES ROUND UNDER ROCKER COVER :good: :good: :good:

Jamie_t

Post by Jamie_t » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Well when I lift the cap I can't see any oil splashing what could it be?

GRANDAD

Post by GRANDAD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm

hi should be wet with oil ..IF YOU CANT SEE ANY OIL TAKE OFF ROCKER COVER AND RUN ENGINE YOU SHOULD SEE OIL IF NOT ???? POS OIL PUMP :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: HOPE THIS HELPS ROCKER SHOULD GET WET :good:

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:15 am

Jamie_t wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 pm
So I've been looking around on the forum and using the search to try and find out which oil to put where.
Engine oil I'm fine with but would like clarification on the exact oil for the gearbox and diff. (I have a small leak so need to top the diff up)

I was hoping to get in one post a list of all the oils to use, how much to put in the diffs and gearbox and easiest method.
Thanks in advance!
Jamie ;)
members/servicing/service.htm

:scratch:

:banghead:

Jamie_t

Post by Jamie_t » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 am

How could it be the oil pump if the pressure gauge is now working correctly? Is there a possibility of a blockage? And where would I start to look?

GRANDAD

Post by GRANDAD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am

hi yes blockage is pos ill ask brother later .. still try taking of rocker cover and run engine if its wet all round the rockers you should be ok :wave: :scratch:

Jamie_t

Post by Jamie_t » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:52 am

How much oil should I expect to see? I seem to remember looking at an old banger I used to race and it was spraying all over the place, obviously getting oil.

oddball

Post by oddball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:49 am

Jamie_t wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm
Thank you :)
When the Mindy is running, if i take the oil filler cap off should I see oil splashing about in there?
I've just removed the sump and cleaned it all out, freed the pressure relief valve from being stuck so I had no oil pressure, the oil pressure gauge now works fine and all looks good but can't remember if I could see oil in the top when all was working fine?
Well I have oil pumping out my dipstick so problem is PCV valve (crank case Pressure Release Valve) where is this on the 2.1L Peugeot is it in the sump as stated here and if so is it a quick clean to fix it?