Which engine ?

The pictures of Matilda's full strip and rebuild
ferretjuggler

Re: Which engine ?

Post by ferretjuggler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Hmmmm.......I think if the TD has a proven track record it's the obvious chioce.
AMC 4.2 will pull a house down at low rpm, trouble is CJs have final drives high as 2.74:1 which can give upto 22mpg driven carefully.
I believe you're on 4.88:1 and even with 33" tyres it would be horribly undergeared, you would be driving everywhere at high revs on a low rev torque monster engine with terrible MPG as a result and a nasty thrashy ride to boot.
Other problem is the weight AMC I6 early versions are as heavy as AMC V8s even the inlet manifolds were cast iron.
Too much weight too high up will feel real nasty off road, could roll over even :shock:

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:00 am

Just revisiting this old thread,
FJ, you forget that it doesn't matter what engine is in there, if its rotating at 1500 rpm then the road speed will be the same no matter what engine is fitted. CJ final ratios of 2.7 are seriously offset back the other way by the gear and transfer box ratios.
Admittedly the Mindy gearing overall is quite low but it would have been perfectly fine. An easy example is Kev's setup, 3ltr V6 petrol through the original driveline and its quite a nice drive on the road. Not thrashy, maybe a little undergeared but OK none the less :good:
Your right about the weight though, it was a flippin heavy lump, I'm glad I didn't go for it in the end. ;)

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:36 pm

None of them really go for rover v8 much lighter engine than v6 so if jeep is lifted great centre of gravity is achieved also also v6 is a very lazy engine when reving due to not having roller rockers and when warm they tend to get fuel starvation due to heat when moving slowly . Plus parts are easy to get where yank v8 parts can be problem and like you say it's all about the sound so NO diesels but this is only my view and others will feel different.

kev
Technical Expert

Post by kev » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Yep
:)

TopCat

Post by TopCat » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Sorry to resusitate this thread- but what options will bolt right up the existing gearbox etc?

Hal's engine is smoking white smoke.................
Kind Regards

TopCat
Hal the Black prince- CJ540 Mahindra Jeep

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:58 pm

2.5 ldv lumps will fit with a little work
I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

TopCat

Post by TopCat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Previous owner thinks it might be due to replacement fuel tank which may have moisture and old Diesel

I get up there this week and so am going to try to clean any residual dampness in tank (should be higher than diesel) and add some high quality diesel to tank.

will keep you posted
Kind Regards

TopCat

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Better option drain it & flush out tank, lines, filter and pump, then start afresh with new filter & fuel. old stuff will be good for starting your bonfires. :cool:

Derv will float on water. Aged unknown fuel, could even be heating oil, cooking oil, or a cocktail of all sorts.

DON'T laugh. I've seen it all over the years,
Plus I ran a Nissan Patrol SWB straight 6 off roader on all sorts of crap even oil from local kebab shop, made everyone hungry at the events. have also used what we drained from miss fueled motors. No it wasn't a multi fuel lump but could Imitate one very nicely if it had a quick dose of easy start.

You want to talk about Smoke ? :dance: >>>> best advice start fresh and check glow plugs all work. :mod:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

TopCat

Post by TopCat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm

In fact I filled her up with fresh diesel (couldn't find V Power in Inverness) which worked well; for a while especially when hot
Earlier I changed the fuel filter
then later he starts smoking only when cold- no coolant loss either.

still a bit of a mystery
how many glowplugs are there?
Kind Regards

TopCat

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:00 pm

4 glow plugs same side as injectors, a little white smoke is fairly normal with a cold engine.
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.